1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

employee memo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Job Sisyphus, Jun 7, 2006.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

send the memo to OSHA.

2. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

My take: If you're sick, call in sick, don't show up and don't bring in a doctor's note. That's so high school, it's ridiculous. What are they going to do -- fire you? Trust me -- they won't. They don't want to go through the job search over someone not bringing in a doctor's note. In college, when a professor set a policy so outrageous, I'd flat out not acknowledge it. It should be the same in the "pros."

It's just like if a paper sets a dress code policy of pants and a collared shirt when it's 90 degrees out. I'm still going to go out there with shorts and a T-shirt.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My parents worked for The Gummint and their sick days piled up in such a fashion that, when they were ready to retire, they first burned all of them off at full pay.

I forget, but one or the other of them had like 200 sick days piled up ...

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Which is run by Shrubby Bush, the Patron Saint of the Right to Workers. ::)

5. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Member

At my shop we get 5 sick days a year, and if we don't use any, we get (1) extra personal day the following year (to add to the 1 personal day we are all blessed to start with.)
    I don't think I used a sick day the first year, but I don't have any complaints about calling in sick once every couple months when I was sucking the hooka too much the night before.

6. Daily Planet

Daily Planet Guest

My corporate gives employees 40 hours paid vacation, which much be "earned" every six months.

In other words, if you use the "unearned" vacation and quit before you "earn" it, they take it out of the final check.

We get five paid sick days. If you don't use them by end of the fiscal year, you lose them.

There are no personal days, so most people just call it a sick day and nobody asks questions.

But, like someone else said, fuck it. Use them or lose them because you know full well that most of us would be fucked into unpaid overtime if they could get away with it.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

What, no burying the notice in soft peat for three months and then using it as firelight?

Just kidding
    Good stuff

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Just get Uma to fax you a note. I'm sure the spud family could use some extra cash.

9. Stupid

Stupid Member

I'd just do with that policy as I do with most with which I disagree — ignore it.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

What the fuck man? It's nobody's business as to why you want a personal day off, hence the term "personal day." I was once told it's used so you can interview for another job. That be a great excuse for taking a personal day.

"I'd like a personal day off."
    "Why?"
    "To look for another fucking job."

And I'd love to hand the clown who OK'd this Bill Lumbergh-like policy a sick note from a doctor, while coughing on him and maybe even puking in his office.

11. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

At one time we were told here that, due to the HIPPA privacy laws, it's nobody's business what sort of illness anyone has and we're really not supposed to discuss each other's ailments in the office. As a result, we're just supposed to tell the bosses that we're sick and unable to come in. I think there are some rules about taking sick days around holidays, but that's about it.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If they ever do "Office Space II," this needs to be in the script.

Draft saved Draft deleted