1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

employee memo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Job Sisyphus, Jun 7, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i hope your resume is polished and in the mail. for your company to exert that much control over your life, you've gotta really love your job.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Do they also dock your pay if you get into a health situation where you miss time over and above your vacation time?

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I also hope your resume is polished. ... Because if anyone at that joint reads this site, and if they are as heavyhanded as said memo's author, you're going to be on your can in no time.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

and don't think there isn't someone there that doesn't read this site.

I've thought the same thing before.

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

We have a policy that any sick day taken the day before or after a vacation or holiday weekend has to be physician note required. I could care less about either. Holiday weekends don't exist in sports, and usually on vacation, by day 7, i'm ready to go back to work.
    And besides, I use my ten sick days on Friday nights during football season. :)

I've seen several companies require doctors notes, but only for extended sick days.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

This may not be as worthy of Post of the Year as J_D's post on the steroids thread, but I am officially nominating this one for funniest Post of the Year. Tears streaming down my face.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That note is for real? Wow.

I got fired from my first job at a fast food place because I took one sick day and the assistant manager told me that I would need to have a doctor's note next time.

Me: "So I'm supposed to go to the doctor to get a note for you if I'm sick, even though you don't offer any health benefits?"

Him: "Yes."

Me: "Screw that. I quit."

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

So did you quit or get fired? Make up your mind. What are you a big time sports personality or something?

9. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

I'm saying that initial posting is made up. Fabrication. Otherwise, why has the paper been identified? And why isn't it on other web sites like Poynter?

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Wow, a triple negative! Impressive.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Me? It ended up one of those, "You can't fire me because I quit," deals.

He was also hitting on the waitress who was sweet on me, which I think was his primary motivation.

12. sportsed

sportsed Guest

So ... you're going to lose money if you're sick? Nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted