1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emory closing journalism school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'd bet very few of those Emory graduates-turned-NFL beat writers made less than $35,000 coming out of school. We're talking about Emory, one of the best colleges in the country. Big-city newspapers love elite-school graduates. (Edit: And what Dick Whitman said.)

And you don't go to Emory (or a school like it) entirely riding student loans. If you have a financial need, schools like Emory will provide assistance. Many have parents who can afford the tuition, which allows for better grants for those who have need.

2. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Does Northwestern have a journalism school?? A pretty good one from what I hear on the streets.

3. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I have not heard that on the streets. Not that it matters that much, but I hear you could put Missouri and Northwestern either No. 1 or No. 2.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You're right. Not a journalism school, just a lot of journalist alumni. Syracuse is great for broadcast and good for print.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I bet the NY Times and WSJ staffs have a ton of people who went to Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and some of the elite liberal arts schools out that way that don't offer j-majors. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the majority of staffers at those papers did not major in journalism. I could be way off, but that's my intuition.

6. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Well ... here ya go, I suppose.

With the exception of military test pilots, reporters probably spend more time talking shop than folks in any other line of work. That’s why Emory University’s decision to close its journalism program in two years has caused quite a stir in the trade. Close a j-school? Oh, no, how can this be? I may be alone among my ink-stained ilk in thinking this is no big deal. It’s not good news, certainly, especially for faculty and staff. But it’s not bad news, either. Nothing against Emory, and nothing against the nearly 160 students who went to Atlanta to study news. It’s just that news judgment, reporting and editing don’t need to be taught in college.

More at http://flaglerlive.com/44169/emory-journalism-school-bc/

I worked with Bill briefly and I remember him as a pretty good, old-school newsman. After this piece, though, I'm guessing some will lump him in among the wise guys and crotchety grumps.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're not following the conversation. Someone already brought up Northwestern. My question was about the Ivies and Duke.

It has been answered here that they do not have J-programs.

Regardless, in the "if it's my kid" category, there is no way I would send him to Northwestern these days to major in journalism if it's to actually be a journalist. That price tag will never be repaid.

8. Dick Whitman

What do reporters at places like the New York Times, Washington Post, and WSJ make? The New Yorker?

I honestly have no clue. What does, say, the guy who covers the pharmaceutical industry or the auto industry for the WSJ make a year? What does the woman who covers, say, climate change at the NYT make?

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Entry-level, full-time reporters at those places are in the mid-$40,000 to low $50,000 range.

Edit: See later in thread.

10. Dick Whitman

Wow.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's not much. You'd be substantially better off from a cost of living perspective making $35,000 in Indianapolis.

12. Dick Whitman

I know. That's what I meant by, "Wow."

Draft saved Draft deleted