1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emmys Anyone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I didn't like Mike and Molly early on, but it got better...

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Titanic was big, but I didn't think they showed anything.

Kitten Natividad's chest in Airplane!?
    Mary Louise Weller in Animal House?

Does Janet Jackson count?

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

An old school acquaintance of mine is a talent agent. One of his clients was Jeff Conaway (Bobby from "Taxi"). The guy is posting on Facebook how very disappointed he and Conaway's family are that Conaway was not included in the 'in memoriam" segment of the show.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I object to this quote: "Actually, as a coastal elite, we’ve never met a single person who watches The Big Bang Theory full stop."

I want to go to California, shake this man's hand and say, "NOW YOU'VE MET SOMEONE WHO WATCHES THE BIG BANG THEORY."

And I'm not alone. At least 10 million viewers have watched each of the last three seasons and has ranked in the top 15 the last two seasons.

Plus, it was nice to see someone outside of the Modern Family club win a comedy award last night.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I haven't missed an episode of BBT since a friend got me hooked on it.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was a pretty deep year in TV deaths. Didn't know that Touched by an Angel guy died.

There is one sure way to avoid getting snubbed by the Oscar and Emmy In Memoriam segments - don't die.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I will never understand you. How could you NOT love Sookie???

(bonus Vergara action)

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm still upset over the fact that Lauren Graham never won an Emmy for her portrayal of Lorelai. Or that Gilmore Girls, in its seven year run, was only nominated for ONE Emmy (and that was for makeup). Just...ugh.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm with you, Wenders. Loved GG.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Ditto to that IJAG and Wenders. A great show that deserved Emmys. I always thought McCarthy, Graham, Alexis Bledel and Scott Patterson should have been nominated. The witty banter is what made the Gilmore Girls so good.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That segment really rubbed me the wrong way, too.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Not winning an Emmy should almost be a badge of honor, at least as far as comedy goes.

I like Modern Family fine, but it's such an uneven show, and in no way, shape or form did it have a season on par with Parks and Recreation or Community this year. It's a family show, and the Emmy voters love family shows for comedies. And it manages to feel progressive but also be completely non-threatening, simply because they play up every gay stereotype. It's like the Cosby Show crossed with Will and Grace.

I was pretty excited Coach Taylor won. He seemed pretty stunned. It was nice to see FNL finally get some much-deserved love.

By the way, I don't think anyone has said this yet, but Kate Winslet is now a Tony away from the highly-coveted EGOT. And for someone like her, a Tony seems like easy pickings. If I were her agent, I'd be sniffing around for the next SERIOUS thing on Broadway, something about molestation or losing a child or the Holocaust, and she'd be a shoe in.

She got her Emmy last night, won a Grammy for Spoken Word album, and has an Oscar for The Reader.

You'd have to pay me large sums of money to watch that Mildred Pierce thing she was in, but I do like her a lot.

EDIT: I didn't realize it until I was looking up Winslet, but Scorsese also got within a Tony of the EGOT last night.

Draft saved Draft deleted