1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emmy nominations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jul 6, 2006.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Bastard,

That he was supposed to be a slab of cheese merely means he was suitably cast.

That KO refers to The Candidate mere hours after me ... I'm going to have to check my horrorscope [sic].

YHS, etc

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I can't decide between The Office and Arrested Development for Best Comedy, they might be my two favorite shows of all time. I love Piven but if Will Arnett doesn't win that category it's a joke. Arnett is absolutely brilliant. Of course Tony Hale, David Cross and Michael Cera probably also deserved nominations in that category.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Office got better as the year went on. Arrested Development was a touch too inside at the end. Plus, like Family Guy, it has the benefit of making no sense at all. But it deserves the Emmy for the hilarity of certain little things, like having Scott Baio replace Henry Winkler as the family lawyer. Brilliant.

Jeremy Piven does not deserve best supporting actor. He does the same thing for two scenes every episode. To me, John Krasinski (Jim) from The Office should have been a lock to win, and he wasn't even nominated. And what does John C. McGinley need to do to get a nomination? Hell, pretty much every supporting actor/actress from Scrubs was great this year (and if we are looking at tiny roles like Ari, the guy who plays the janitor on Scrubs is freaking hilarious every week), and they got snubbed.

But as I said above, the fact that Lauren Graham has never been nominated for Gilmore Girls is a crime. She is the best actress on TV. And Kelly Bishop was also deserving of a nomination for that show.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't have HBO but love Curb Your Enthusiasm. Today the 5th season DVD set just came out, unless it's been out for a long time but Borders didn't pick it up till now. It said $39.99, but rang up as $29.99, so I had that going for me.

Then I thought, why 10 bucks off, was season 5 shitty?

I've seen 3 of the episodes today. Not great, not horrible, a few funny moments, a lot of uncomfortable I've-been-there moments. A piece of me thinks, though, that Larry David tried a little too hard to develop storylines a bit out of reach, like he swung for a grand slam when a simple 2-run single would've sufficed.

Any thoughts?

Draft saved Draft deleted