1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emmy nominations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Monster handle, dude.
    "You're a goddam ugly broad!"

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He's also a great comedian.

He, the aforementioned Emma Thompson, the brilliant Stephen Fry and Kenneth Branagh all starred in "Peter's Friends" kind of a British version of "The Big Chill"--only better.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Drama Series: "Grey's Anatomy," ABC; "House," Fox; "The Sopranos," HBO; "24," Fox; "The West Wing," NBC.
    Grey's or Sopranos

Comedy Series: "Arrested Development," Fox; "Curb Your Enthusiasm," HBO; "The Office," NBC; "Scrubs," NBC; "Two and a Half Men," CBS.
    The Office

Variety, Music or Comedy Series: "The Colbert Report," Comedy Central; "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart," Comedy Central; "Late Night With Conan O'Brien," NBC; "Late Show With David Letterman," CBS; "Real Time With Bill Maher ," HBO.

I think Colbert pulls off the upset...
    Actor, Drama Series: Denis Leary, "Rescue Me," FX Network; Peter Krause , "Six Feet Under," HBO; Kiefer Sutherland , "24," Fox; Martin Sheen , "The West Wing," NBC.
    Leary or Kiefer
    Actress, Drama Series: Kyra Sedgwick , "The Closer," TNT; Geena Davis , "Commander in Chief," ABC; Mariska Hargitay, "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," NBC; Frances Conroy, "Six Feet Under," HBO; Allison Janney , "The West Wing," NBC.

Janney or Hargitay.

Supporting Actor, Drama Series: William Shatner , "Boston Legal," ABC; Oliver Platt , "Huff," Showtime; Michael Imperioli , "The Sopranos," HBO; Gregory Itzin, "24," Fox; Alan Alda , "The West Wing," NBC.

Imperioli.

Supporting Actress, Drama Series: Candice Bergen, "Boston Legal," ABC; Sandra Oh , "Grey's Anatomy," ABC; Chandra Wilson, "Grey's Anatomy," ABC; Blythe Danner, "Huff," Showtime; Jean Smart, "24," Fox.

Wilson definitely...

Actor, Comedy Series: Larry David, "Curb Your Enthusiasm," HBO; Kevin James , "The King of Queens," CBS; Tony Shalhoub , "Monk," USA; Steve Carell , "The Office," NBC; Charlie Sheen, "Two and a Half Men," CBS.

Carell or Shalhoub.

Actress, Comedy Series: Lisa Kudrow , "The Comeback," HBO; Jane Kaczmarek, "Malcolm in the Middle," Fox; Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "The New Adventures of Old Christine," CBS; Stockard Channing, "Out of Practice," CBS; Debra Messing , "Will & Grace," NBC.

Kaczmarek by default...
    Supporting Actor, Comedy Series: Will Arnett, "Arrested Development," Fox; Jeremy Piven , "Entourage," HBO; Bryan Cranston, "Malcolm in the Middle," Fox; Jon Cryer, "Two and a Half Men," CBS; Sean Hayes, "Will & Grace," NBC.

I'd definitely vote for Piven.

Supporting Actress, Comedy Series: Cheryl Hines , "Curb Your Enthusiasm," HBO; Alfre Woodard , "Desperate Housewives," ABC; Jaime Pressly , "My Name Is Earl," ABC; Elizabeth Perkins , "Weeds," Showtime; Megan Mullally, "Will & Grace," NBC.

Perkins or Pressly. If you guys haven't seen Weeds, it's tremendous...
    Actor, Miniseries or a Movie: Charles Dance, "Bleak House (Masterpiece Theatre)," PBS; Donald Sutherland , "Human Trafficking," Lifetime; Ben Kingsley , "Mrs. Harris," HBO; Jon Voight , "Pope John Paul II," CBS; Andre Braugher, "Thief," FX Network.

Haven't seen any of them...

4. Mizzougrad96

The best show on TV that nobody is watching is Weeds on Showtime...

If this was on HBO, it would be as hot as Entourage.

Great fucking show...

5. Mizzougrad96

I'm with you man... She should have been a lock...

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Laurie has serious chops as an actor.  Any man that play Gregory House and Bertie Wooster in "Jeeves and Wooster"and was one half of the late lamented "A Little Bit of Fry and Laurie" and appeared in shows as disparate as "Blackadder" and "Pride and Prejudice" should win this hands down.  And did I mention that he writes as well?  His first novel "The Gun Seller" was published in the late 90's. And that's really him playing the piano on "House".

The man is the real deal. The academy is just jealous.

7. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

Is it possible -- especially in Piven's case -- that Entourage wasn't eligible this year? ... Piven got the nomination last year for Season 2 and there was probably some kind of deadline for this year's nominations. ... Same goes for Ian McShane from Deadwood.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Drama Series: "Grey's Anatomy."
    Comedy Series: "The Office." I'm not all that thrilled by any of them.
    Variety, Music or Comedy Series: "The Colbert Report," Comedy Central.
    Actor, Drama Series: Denis Leary, "Rescue Me." If there's any justice in the world.
    Actress, Drama Series: Geena Davis , "Commander in Chief." Sorry, dog. I thought she was excellent.
    Supporting Actor, Drama Series: Oliver Platt, "Huff." He makes this one work more than Azaria.
    Supporting Actress, Drama Series: Chandra Wilson, "Grey's Anatomy."
    Actor, Comedy Series: Steve Carell, "The Office." See Comedy Series.
    Actress, Comedy Series: Jane Kaczmarek, "Malcolm in the Middle." I think they're done, too, and she's been a rock.
    Supporting Actor, Comedy Series: Jeremy Piven , "Entourage." Runaway.
    Supporting Actress, Comedy Series: Elizabeth Perkins, "Weeds." I liked Pressly, too, but if you don't make this pick, you don't get Showtime. And yes, ML Parker should have gotten a nomination for lead actress.
    Actor, Miniseries or a Movie: Unqualified to judge.

9. Mizzougrad96

I'm just thrilled the Emmy's didn't reward that god-awful show Desperate Housewives...

It had a good first season, but was pure shit last season...

10. Mizzougrad96

Weeds is so much better than any of the comedies listed that it's a joke...

Mary Louise Parker is so much better than any of the other women nominated that it's a joke...

The two best live-action comedies are Weeds and Entourage...

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Housewives this season. I saw the first season on DVD, and it was a riot. But for it not to be nominated is pretty damning about its quality, considering that the comedy field is pretty light.

And I love SVU, but Meloni is the weakest link of the ensemble. I would certainly agree on Laurie.

12. Friend --
    Remember that Rdford was SUPPOSED to be a big slab of cheese in that movie.
    On Countdown tonight, Olbermann compared Joe Lieberman to Crocker Jarmon, the incumbent senator (played by Don "Gidget's Dad" Porter) in The Candidate. Best. Reference. Ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted