1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emmy nominations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ah, the memories of a misspent youth. But, alas, that time has passed.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I'd also like to point out for people that don't watch the show or don't know much of Laurie ... the guy in real life has one of the strongest British accents you'll ever hear (check out Black Adder), so his vocal performance of the ultra-American House combined with his other acting abilities makes him a clear oversight.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I want to qualify this statement by saying that I have only watched a few episodes of the Office. I thought they were really good, but I still don't see how it can be a better comedy than Arrested Development. The writing and acting on that show is so good, it makes me sick to think it was taken off the air. Of course, to each his own, but for money AD should win best comedy.

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

The Office over the course of 20-some episodes this season was just as good or better than AD. Those are my 2 favorite shows ... but after AD got the cancelation notice, they turned it into a giant in-joke. I still found the jokes wildly funny, but it made it even less accessible than usual and just a tick below how well Office did.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Both Arrested Development and The Office were/are sensational. I'd have a hard time choosing between them. But I think DOH is right that AD was a little less accessible to the average viewer. Both great shows, though. Perfect examples to use against people who say that there's nothing but crap on TV.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

There has to be more to that story. No one from The Shield got nominated.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I don't know if I have ever seen a more overrated show on TV ... ever ... than 24.

8. Zeek

Zeek Member

The Emmies are a joke.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

24 is different from most shows because of the number of storylines, characters and events they run through each season. Think about it. What they do in the first 12 episodes of 24 would be fleshed out into three seasons on most shows. Yeah, it's a little superficial and there's not much great acting. But at the same time, what they're doing and the level at which they're doing it isn't easy and should be noticed every now and then. Running through all these different situations sounds great ... in theory. But to actually make it work, make it mostly believable and make it entertaining to a large, that deserves some respect.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Being cancelled is no liability in all this and might be a plus. Two long-gone series that I loved won statuettes for their leads post-pinkslipping. William Windom in the James Thurber-inspired (yes, you read that right) My World and Welcome to It and Hal Holbrook as The Senator (which had the feel of Redford's The Candidate, except with an actor in the lead role instead of 175-pound slab of cheese).

I didn't mention Lisa Kudrow before but I only caught two episodes of her series but I laughed so hard I almost plotzed. I'd buy it on DVD. Is it cancelled? (Surely, must be.) It had to get nominated--half the people in the academy are that character (or worse).

YHS, etc

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The premise that it is happening in a day.... the very title of the show... couldn't be more stupid.

If the show was named .... 365... it would be MUCH better to me.

12. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Rainn Wilson from The Office got robbed, I hope Will Arnett gets it.

Draft saved Draft deleted