1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emmerich newspapers? What's that like?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NancyLou, Dec 13, 2013.

1. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

I'm interviewing on Monday with a newspaper in the Emmerich holdings group and can't seem to find much about them on the internet.

Anyone here work for Emmerich, or has? What was your experience like? How are the benefits, if any?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Never heard of them. Sorry. What properties do they own?

3. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

I tried to find a link showing the holdings of Emmerich but was unable to do so. Seems they don't have a corporate website.

However, they own mostly smaller papers throughout Mississippi, with a smattering in Louisiana and, I think, one paper in Arkansas.

And almost as soon as I hit "Post", I found a list from 2005, though I know they've bought others since then. And I could have SWORN they bought the Commercial Appeal but can't find that now, and it's owned by Scripps.

Carrolltown Conservative

Charleston Sun-Sentinel

Choctaw Plain Dealer
    Clarke County Tribune

Clarksdale Press Register

Columbian-Progress

DeSoto County Tribute

Dumas Clarion

Franklinton Era-Leader

Greenville Delta Democrat Times

Greenwood Commonwealth

Hattiesburg Journal

Indianola Enterprise-Tocsin

Madison Journal

Magee Courier

McComb Enterprise-Journal

Northside Sun

Petal News

Rankin County Record

Simpson County News

Scott County Times

Times of South Mississippi

Webster Progress-Times

Winona Times

Winston County Journal

Yazoo Herald

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Wyatt Emmerich owns and operates some community weeklies and a handful of dailies in my neck of the woods. I know a few people who work for his papers, and they don't seem to have any complaints. I'm fairly certain the company is on sound financial ground, because they're stable, expanding and adding properties.

5. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

I definitely can't find anything bad being said about them, which is a good thing. Were there any disgruntled employees or former employees out there, I can't imagine they'd be quiet about it.

One thing I've noted in my research is, it seems they promote from within quite a bit. It also appears they support their employees but I just can't find anything about benefits, or the environment, or anything else.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Perhaps you can find out about some of that stuff in the course of your visit/interview. Be upfront and honest about what you'd like and are seeking and go from there.

I wouldn't go crazy trying to find out information. While it's always good -- even preferable, usually -- to go in with eyes wide open, you can do that in terms of your mindset, anyway, and maybe, just maybe, not knowing too much beforehand will even help you to keep an open mind and heart about any possible opportunity. No preconceived notions can be a good thing and may help you make your decisions/impressions strictly on your own.

Just strive to make a good impression and have a good interview, yourself, and be smart and open-minded about your own impressions of them, and see what happens.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Good luck on Monday.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know what you're looking for but this much I can tell you, Emmerich is a good stable company to work for. You won't get rich but you will work hard. You will have an opportunity to improve your skill set and yes, if you're good enough, you will be promoted. Go in with an open mind and an eager disposition. Good luck and go for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted