1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emmanuel Mudiay leaves SMU to play in Europe or Asia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Jul 15, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

What's interesting is I would think Mudiay will be playing against better competition in China than he would have at SMU. I don't know if the same would be true if he was at Duke or Kentucky.

If he's successful (a gigantic if) I could see top prospects opting for a seven-figure salary overseas over college. The problem will be that only a few would be able to get deals like that. I think Brandon Jennings was actually paid more than what Mudiay is going to get. Under Armour was involved with Jennings as well.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think so. According to Woj at the time, Jennings' contract was three years for $1 million if he finished it (which of course he didn't). Other places said it was $1.2M or $1.65M, but that's something of a squishy detail and all based on a multiyear deal. Jeremy Tyler's deal was one year for $140,000, he obviously just didn't want to go to college under any circumstances.

One year for $1.2 million seems like a big deal and could be a turning point. What if the next guy gets two years for $4 million? At that point it would be kind of foolish to play for free.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The CBL loves to be involved in these stunts.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Highly doubtful the level of regular-season play in the Chinese league is even close to the AAC.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

:D :D :D

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Guangdong, where is my automobile?

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Lake ... big lake ...

Draft saved Draft deleted