1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emmanuel Mudiay leaves SMU to play in Europe or Asia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Because none of the players want to play in Europe. Each and every one wants to go to the NBA and the trip to Europe is pretty much only done as a short term measure if the player has no other choice.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, the "minor leagues" are accepted in baseball and hockey and the NFL rule that players have to go to college for three years has been enforced.

I think with a lot of these players, they've had their asses kissed since they were pre-teens and playing for $40K in Greenville will be tough for them to stomach. Granted, that's in place of playing in college for free.

I don't mind the one and done and I wouldn't mind two and done for basektball, because it's better for college basketball, it's better for the NBA, and in most cases, it's better for the player.

As to whether it's fair, I don't know. And while I think people hate to see a top prospect skip college to play in Europe for a year, how often does that happen with top prospects? It's pretty rare, so they may see someone like Mudiay as the exception and not feel any need to change the rule.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Playing for free" in college carries with it a lot of ancillary benefits, such as being on TV all the time, a huge media following, big crowds at games and first-class travel.

Although I imagine if Mudiay was in the D-League, there would be more exposure for their games, at least as draft time approached.

4. RecoveringJournalist

I would be curious if having a player like Mudiay in the D-league would make a significant increase in exposure and coverage. I tend to doubt it, but I don't know.

You're right about the college perks. Being well-known in college can help with the size of that first shoe contract.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because Latin American players don't have an alternative in their country to continue playing at the next level, except for some national teams. Basketball players have the college ranks.

Latin American players also get offered signing bonuses, which, while they may be just a few thousand dollars, are still a good chunk of change in their country, while college basketball players aren't permitted a glass of water [cross-thread].

6. RecoveringJournalist

Apparently, Under Armour is going to sign Mudiay, so he may not have to worry that much about his salary next year and can go to a place where he can develop his game.

What I'm most interested in, is how will this impact his draftability. He's a consensus top 5 guy right now, as are Jahil Okafor, Cliff Alexander and Stanley Johnson. It will be interesting if those guys stay at the top and if Mudiay slips.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Didn't even need the blue font ... and that's why you da man!

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I kinda liked this piece of of advice to Mudiay from Chad Ford: "If he was smart, he'd shut it down completely, hire an agent and trainer like Exum did and spend the year training for the draft. He'd be impossible to pick apart then."

If he can land a sponsor or two like Under Armour to take care of his financial needs until the draft, this makes a lot of sense to me. Screw BOTH college and the overseas route. If you're already projected as a Top 5 pick, why risk injury and give the scouts a chance to find your flaws if you don't have to?

9. RecoveringJournalist

That's a really good point, but wasn't Exum playing with the Australian national team?

I'm not sure completely shutting it down for a year is the best idea, but I agree that going to Europe for one year doesn't make a ton of sense unless he really needs the money and some team is willing to pay a decent salary for a guy who will leave after one year after riding the pine.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Heading to Guangdong of the China Basketball Association for one year, $1.2 million, according to Woj.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/491590238968758272

11. RecoveringJournalist

I wonder if the decision to go there was based on money/marketing or both. Hard to argue with that salary.

I wonder how many of the incoming freshmen could get 7-figure contracts overseas. I'm guessing maybe 5-7.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Everybody Guangdong tonight!

Draft saved Draft deleted