1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emmanuel Mudiay leaves SMU to play in Europe or Asia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not to mention, adjusting to living in a foreign country, with a different language and customs. It's difficult enough for grown adults, much less 18-year-old kids.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My daughter spent the 19th year of her life as a student in France and Senegal. She handled it just fine. Her life role at that time was student, just as Mudiay's is basketball player. He might do fine in a foreign country, too.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

His family is originally from Congo (he was born in Zaire but moved to the U.S. at age 5), so I imagine he's more worldly than your average 18-year-old.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

This is an unfair stereotype, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess your daughter is better adjusted than someone who has probably had his ass kissed by AAU coaches and recruiters since they were 12.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why not the D-League? Isn't it designed partly to address this situation?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Probably would limit his income quite a bit.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I guess that would be an option, but I don't think any top player has ever used it that way.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not quite sure the level of pressure is exactly comparable.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/26026918/prime-prep-shutdown-by-state-officials#.U8WtXF3oUG8.twitter

I would guess Mudiay's decision might have something to do with this news. Texas seeking to shut down the high school where he got his diploma (Deion Sanders' Prime Prep) for being the sham school that it is.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Those Deion quotes toward the end are priceless.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Young baseball players from Latin America come to the U.S. all the time. Some succeed, some don't. I don't see why a reverse process in basketball is much different except for the insular nature of most Americans.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Breaking news: Deion Sanders is a monumentally colossal dick. Not to mention a self-important blowhard.

I know, you never would have guessed that, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted