1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emile Hirsch to star in John Belushi biopic

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 29, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

He was really good in Alpha Dogs, which had a great cast.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

True, but Hirsch is probably 165 or so.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Oh, no question he's got some eating ahead of him... Hirsch has never struck me as someone who will be satisfied to put on a fat suit...

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Very underrated film.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Does anybody really want to see this?

I remember Belushi. Fondly. I don't need to see someone doing a Belushi imitation, and I know enough about Belushi's life that the movie will only be redundant. Plus, the ending sucks.

Felt the same was about "Man in the Moon." I LOVED Andy Kaufman, and had no desire to see Jim Carrey pretending to be Andy Kaufman.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

None of what you said in your second paragraph applies to me or most people in my generation (none of whom remember Belushi). I have seen a few of his movies (Animal House, 1941 and Blues Brothers and a lot of Saturday Night Live episodes from his era. But I don't know anything about his life aside from him having a half-as-talented brother and dying after using a speedball.

I don't like many biopics, but I am sure many people who don't remember Belushi or know a lot about him will want to see this, particularly if it turns out good.

And the ending doesn't suck in the context of a movie.

7. Mizzougrad96

I definitely want to see it.

Like anything else, if it's done well, it has the potential to be awesome. If it's done poorly, it will suck. Based on hiring Hirsch, I think it will be awesome.

This one will be especially tough to do, because having someone play someone who a lot of us remember is not easy to do. They're also going to need to find people to play other celebrities who we're familiar with... Definitely Aykroyd, maybe a few others from the SNL or Animal House casts... and maybe Robin Williams and a couple others.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

absolutely. where has it been hiding? long overdue to be back for a month in the hbo/starz/encore/cinemax loop. terrific cast....

9. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, that was a really good movie...

He was also really good in Savages and Killer Joe, two of the better movies I saw last year...

Draft saved Draft deleted