1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Emigration and the NBA - Childress to Greece?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jul 21, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Stern's worst nightmare.

Hopefully not a D_B.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-childressgreece072108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

LAS VEGAS – In a potentially stunning move that reflects the growing challenge Europe's basketball leagues pose to the NBA, Atlanta Hawks free-agent forward Josh Childress is strongly considering a three-year, $20 million offer from Greek powerhouse Olympiakos, several league sources said Sunday night.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If that's what he's worth, than someone in the NBA should pay it.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Maybe he'd like to see another part of the world. If basketball can allow him to do so, more power to him.

4. 93Devil

I really do not think that is the reason for the switch, but I'm guessing he can afford to fly, even if it has to be coach.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't know the reason for the switch, but I do know that if I had a job that could take me to faraway lands for a few years, I'd jump on it for the life experience. Maybe Childress wants to broaden his horizons and not just be a tourist.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Or he could just be using this for negotiating leverage.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Nah, that can't be it.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

LOL salary caps

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

This is not that big a deal. The free agent market has dried up, so Childress might go to Europe, probably for only a year. The deal might be for three years, but it would allow him to get out of his Greek contract and come back to the league after just one season, when there might be more NBA teams with $$ to spend. Hard to see this as the beginning of some trend where Europe is going to steal players from the NBA.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

And he is not alone.
    Nachbar leaves the Nets for Moscow:

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/nets/Nachbar_bolts_Nets_as_expected_Guess_where_hes_gone.html

11. 93Devil

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2008/07/11/6126161-sun.html

Delfino gone as well.

Not exactly starters, but they are solid bench players.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'd rather get paid in Euros.

Draft saved Draft deleted