1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Embarrassing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Comma Chameleon, Jun 6, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

disagree completely. tv journalism is tv journalism, no matter the market size. i'm sure his bosses were 100 percent behind it. doesn't make it right.

but then, i'm just an ol' fogie with a northeast bias.

the station couldn't find a features person to take the plunge on this instead of its sports director?

2. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Also, Baton Rouge has Southern University as well as LSU.

3. awriter

awriter Active Member

So it's wrong to wear team colors in the press box, but it's OK to have the school's letters shaved into your head?!!! Huh?

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Actually I can agree with that -- this is better suited for the features person -- but my point was the station in general doing off-beat stories like this about the home team (or teams if Southern U. is really on par with LSU in terms of fan base in Baton Rouge) and even doing something silly isn't the worst thing in the world.

5. zagoshe

It is all about context -- I'm sure this was a one-time thing, he did it for fun, he did it as part of a feature he was doing and for all we know he might not even be from Baton Rouge or an LSU fan. By Tuesday it will have grown in and we won't ever see it again.

When someone wears colors and whatnot of a team, it screams fan boy.

In this case, I'm thinking it is less fan boy and more just trying to have some fun with a fucking off-beat SPORTS story......

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Fun or not, it's just fucking wrong for THIS guy to be doing it. Period.

Get Zippy the entertainment host to shave his head while giggling Suzie helps sweep the locks into the purple-and-yellow Tiger Head pail.

Your sports staff, and the director in particular, should have better sense.

7. zagoshe

Like I said, I can agree with that point - a sports guy probably should not have done it but had a features guy done it, I'd have no problem with the station letting it go as just the whacky features guy having fun and doing some things to get the community interested or whatever.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Let me remove any doubt about whether the sports director in question is a fanboy. He's been discussed here before for:

-- Wearing a "Beat the Lady Vols" T-shirt during postgame interviews, including while he questioned Pat Summitt.

-- Being the handpicked (by LSU) MC for the crowd that showed up for the spring football game at LSU and for other LSU events (coincidentally, his initials are MC).

-- Posting breaking news on an LSU fan message board instead of on the Web site maintained jointly by his station and the newspaper (which are owned by the same parent company). Not a link to his report, not a heads-up to watch the news: Breaking it on the fan board and driving traffic to that site instead of his company's.

-- Spending an inordinate amount of time posting on said board, not limited to but including summarizing Les Miles pressers and engaging in gossip with the fans.

-- Hanging around the players constantly and grab-assing with them as if he's 22 instead of 30.

Now he's etched out on a new low on the back of his head. And the fans in Baton Rouge continue to get the impression that that's what sports reporting is, and when they get coverage that doesn't suck up, they consider it "negative" because of game-show hosts like him.

I wonder if he'll still be a jock sniffer when he's 40. Pathetic.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was he an advocate for his blog from SEC baseball too? ;D

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

He doesn't have a blog. He's got the message board.

He made a snide remark about me on the board a few weeks ago. He and I had a little chat soon after. I don't think that will be happening again.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? Of course he will be.

He'll be working for Sam Zell's twice-weekly ad shoppers and running the TriBBlog message-news-ad boards.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Seriously? And she didn't strangle him with it?

Umm, yeah, I'd say that clears it up quite well, J_D.

A couple of the local beat writers might include a link to the front page of our (fan) site on their blogrolls, but as far as I know, the sportstalk radio guys are the only ones who have ever posted on our boards. And if they're breaking any news, it absolutely comes with a link back to the story on their site.

Someone needs to talk to this kid. But as long as the fans dig that kind of crap -- and unfortunately, I know most of "us" probably do -- I doubt anything happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted