1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Embarrassing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Comma Chameleon, Jun 6, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Ouch.

2. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Funny thing is that I don't give one-tenth of one shit about hockey. Just couldn't resist that joke.

3. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

I wonder if his face is painted.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It happens all over, but it happens a little more often in the SEC...

Completely disgraceful.

5. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

How many logos did you cut into your hair?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sam Zell would probably approve. After all, it's giving the customers what they want.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Baron, you're probably right.

If that Baton Rouge station's manager had any ethics he would force the guy to trim it and suspend him for being a dumbass.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What paper does he blog for?

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

that douche belongs on the "your worst hire thread."

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

and some folks teased me for a loooong time for chastising tv guys -- and some print guys -- for addressing football and basketball coaches as "coach."

they're not your effin' coach. it's not a title like "mr. president." these guys have names. use 'em.

this is a big step below "coach," granted, but not all that big of a fall, if you think about it. christ, working "journos." show some self-respect.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Is it really? The dude was having some fun with it and frankly in a spot like Baton Rouge, La., where there is only one team in town -- these kinds of things -- sports columnists letting a state championship team shaving their head because in a column he wrote something like "if this team wins, I'll shave my head...."

I don't know, I just think the guy was having some fun and I am sure the local station chiefs probably thought it was fun and innocent so I'd say this isn't the worst thing I've ever seen.

I think the rules are a little different when you are in a tiny market with one home team -- no you shouldn't be rooting in the press box or wearing team colors to press conferences, but if you do a story at a barber shop where the team is getting something shaved in their head, to sit down in the chair and show them cutting your hair and whatnot, I don't know, I can sort of laugh about it.

It wouldn't fly in a big market or a medium market, but in a small market, I'd say there is a little more leeway for homerism........

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I do hate the "coach" thing however and worse, I hate the fanboy-like sports reporters who feel the need to call athletes, particularly student-athletes, by their fucking nicknames.....

What you think scrap? Great game, nails! What'd you think about the way scrap pitched? Z-dog, you got a minute? Helluva an outing J-Peezy!! Hoss, what you think about Sid the Kid's performance tonight?

UGHHHHHH!!!

YOU.ARE.NOT.A.PART.OF.IT

Draft saved Draft deleted