1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Embarrassing SI spelling error of the week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, May 28, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In the SI "Where are they now?" issue, the Roy Firestone story refers to Chris "Meyers" as one of the successors. And a couple weeks back in British Open wrapup coverage, there was a reference to 2004 champion "Scott" Hamilton.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I don't get SI anymore - haven't for a long time - and I agree that spelling mistakes will slip through any publication. But last month I had a chance to read one while waiting for my car to get fixed. There was some baseball story on the Pirates and in the story it mentioned the Brewers' big game against them - April 27 or something like that. Either way it was in April. Then with the story there was a photo from that game - and the cutline had something like the Brewers scored 20 runs against the Pirates in May. That's not a mistake which just slips past; that's some sloppy cutline writing/fact checking.

EDIT: Had a minute to check on that date - April 22.

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

All good points. Folks here who make a federal case out of one of the big boys making a mistake simply tells me they have higher expectations for other people's work than for their own. That bugs the snot out of me.

Sort of like the reporters and editors I hear complain about how much they get paid vs. XYZ publication. Any time I hear that, I ask them one question as sincerely as I can: So, how much more do I need to pay you before I get YOUR best effort?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, I'd probably put peak effort in at 33% more than I make now.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Clutch: I think you can still question why people in better jobs make mistakes and/or more money while still giving your best effort in your current job.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A big reason for that is that I figure that if they're at a big-time publication, they must be there for some reason, and I would think part of that, would be ability.

Effort isn't the only factor in doing a job. For instance, when I go to a minor league baseball game, I expect a higher caliber play than I would do at a high school game. And if I go to a major league game, even though the difference may be small, I expect the caliber of play to be higher than a minor league game.

Draft saved Draft deleted