1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Embarrassing SI spelling error of the week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, May 28, 2010.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

In Scorecard, no less. Writing about Gus Johnson, this week's Sports Illustrated hyperextends its vocabulary on page 13 by calling him "garrelous Gus." Garrelous? Don't reach for a word if you don't know how to spell it, right?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Never send callow youth to do the work of experienced hands.

Unless you're utterly pound-foolish.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Automatically a "callow youth," right? Obviously, only someone under the age of 25 would make such an error.

Why are we picking on minor spelling errors that most of the readership wouldn't catch? Is this relevant? In a given week, there are dozens (and possibly hundreds, depending on where you work) of similar errors in every newspaper.

It's one thing when a fact is wrong, but really -- do you have to stoop so low as to deprecate those with more talent than you out of envy?

This thread has no value.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

SI made an embarrassing spelling error. So have I, so have you.

Get over it.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If we're talking about embarrassing spelling errors, how about the AP TV listings for Saturday? Five college softball games listed. THREE of them had typos. Unless Geprgia, Oregoin and Arziona State are really competing in the tournament.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They are - Virgnia and Nroth Caroliner make it, to.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

FWIW, my eyes bugged when I saw SI call it Richmond International Speedway in the Halladay issue.

8. I think it's funny that there are long, long threads on this site that deal with how short-staffed and over-worked most of our sections are, but every time something bigger than your average daily makes a mistake - and usually because they, too, have been gutted and are working on a skeleton staff - there's someone starting a thread to jump on them about not being perfect.

When I see a mistake in SI or the NYT or their ilk, I just feel bad for the writer and editor who let it slip by because I've been there before and those kinds of mistakes have made me feel like a piece of garbage, too.

9. CR19

CR19 Member

Although they should take extra care to check their spelling, I'm not really concerned with this. I'd rather see a spelling mistake than a mistake with a name, some information, or a statistic. All in all, SI should learn to use "Spell Check". Other than that, the world isn't going to blink over a lone spelling mistake.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Arziona State is getting spanked by Floirdia right now.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Back to SI, I was taken aback by this sentence in the Golf Plus section:

Suttie is not in search of notoriety, and his grandfatherly style might not gel with Tiger's personality.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Micigan got upset by Tenesee

Draft saved Draft deleted