1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Embarrassing question, please read, please help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by asdjournalist, Aug 18, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

No stalking at all. When I see a new name, one post, asking a stupid question, all yo do is click on the name and find out all of the information I listed in about 13 seconds.

And the answer is simple .. don't ask us, ask the person you're working for what he means and what he wants. If you can't ask a simple question to know what is expected of you, you have no right being in this business.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I agree with you, though. Ask what exactly he wants. However, if he's like me and prideful, he wants to seem knowledgeable and won't ask.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's common. Especially among male sports writers. I've been guilty too.

But it's better to ask (a sports editor, a player, a coach, etc.) and appear looking dumb than to act like you know it all when you don't.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

At my first stringing gig we had a template saved on the hard drive. On box for each sport. Just don't save over the template! DOH!

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think spnited thought the guy was trying to be a smart ass. I understand where spnited is coming from.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Where? The 1800s?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's amazing what being pro-active can do, isn't it?

Ask my editor what HE wants? Nah..I'll just ask a bunch of random donks on a message board and take my chances. That'll work.

Ugh.

8. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

That's actually how I found this place. I had no clue how to keep stats for football, and stumbled upon this site during some epic googling.

So, it's not entirely inconceivable someone would come here sincerely looking for help.

Draft saved Draft deleted