1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Email

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 4, 2015.

?

Do you use your personal email to conduct work business?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Federal Records Act has been in effect since 1950. Any reasonable person would interpret it to include methods of official communication that were invented after its passage.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Lawyers don't, though. They look at every angle they can.

It's bullshit, but there's at least a way to talk it up that way.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I'll use my home email for work-related matters, but usually it's just for something mundane, such as asking a question about the schedule or letting the boss know I'll be running a bit late.

We also can access our work email from home, but I try to avoid that. Learned my lesson in a previous gig -- I'd check the work email from home and see messages from my bosses pointing out errors or second-guessing my decisions, and the day would be ruined.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure anyone can be too cynical when it comes to politics these days. :)

As for the email regulation, the National Archives enacted the current rules on the management of Federal records, including email accounts, on Sept. 9, 2013, after she left office. During her time as Secretary, using a personal email account was allowed.

The 2009 regulations you are referring to state, "Agencies that allow employees to send and receive official electronic mail messages using a system not operated by the agency must ensure that Federal records sent or received on such systems are preserved in the appropriate agency record-keeping system." The New York Times reported this story Monday, several months after Clinton apparently turned over the records of her emails to the National Archives, where they are now preserved.

So, again, as the story stands, there's nothing to this. Her handling of the emails absolutely begs further scrutiny, but it's being treated as if she was Gmailing Snowden state secrets with Petraeus crouching beneath her desk with his face in her crotch.

5. bigpern23

She did turn over 55,000 emails. So I suppose she was a reasonable person who did interpret it to include methods of official communication that were invented after its passage.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless there is absolutely something major in those emails, this will blow over in a couple of weeks, with the exception of the RWSM, who will complain about how the media isn't banging this drum relentlessly as THE BIG ONE (until the next BIG ONE!!! dooms her future campaign.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If you're inclined to trust politicians to self-govern and self-report truthfully and completely after years of disregarding federal law, I suppose there isn't anything to worry about.

Maybe we don't need campaign finance laws either, because if a huge donation comes from a shady source, the recipient candidate will just turn it over to authorities. :rolleyes:

old_tony likes this.
  8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Start putting in for hours because you checked your work email from home and see how quickly they're OK with you not checking your work email from home.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Clinton fatigue already setting in

10. bigpern23

It's really not about trusting the government or politicians (I certainly don't). The point is, quite simply, there is no wrongdoing in this story as of now.

This is how the story stands at the moment:
    - Hillary Clinton exclusively used a personal email address to conduct state business during her time as Secretary of State.
    - Under the Federal Records Act, this was not prohibited. It was required that all emails be preserved by an appropriate government agency.
    - Clinton resigned as Secretary of State in February 2013
    - In September 2013, after Clinton left office, the NARA enacted stricter guidelines forbidding the use of personal email except in emergencies.
    - In late 2014, Clinton turned over 55,000 emails sent via her personal email address to conduct state business.
    - Said emails are now preserved by an appropriate government agency.
    - Monday, the NY Times reports that Clinton used personal email instead of a State Department address.

Unless/until they find something major while archiving her emails, this story is completely meaningless.

And, I mean, you do realize that having a State Department email address is not a panacea to prevent wrongdoing. Even if she had a State Department email address, that would not have stopped her from using a personal email address to conduct all the nefarious activities that she is apparently hiding.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Nixon would have loved you being on his side in 1972-73.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Since Benghazi didn't pan out, this is destined to be Hillary's Benghazi.

Draft saved Draft deleted