1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Email

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 4, 2015.

?

Do you use your personal email to conduct work business?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This could be bigger than Benghazi as a campaign issue.

Personally, I use my work e-mail for almost everything (although I probably shouldn't) but for various reasons I've also signed up for a few private accounts to use for various work-related social media feeds and web services.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This is all much ado about nothing. The NARA rules regarding emails didn't even exist until 2013. Petraeus won't see any jail time and he actually shared classified information with a woman he was boning.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, intereresting. Glad to see the thread didn't get too bogged down politically, but the story did make me curious about how people generally operate.

I sent a work email out with my personal Gmail account a few days after I was hired, just because I was doing some research on my home laptop without my work email on it, and my supervisor immediately said, "This is totally not a big deal since you had no idea, but you can't use your personal email account for work here .."

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Well, Petraeus won't be our next president, either.

And, point of order regarding the laws, the prohibition of personal email use is from 2013. The requirement to preserve all communication, which Clinton did not do, was in place well before that.

5. bigpern23

I've never been admonished for using a personal email, but I do typically try to use my work email for business purposes. As others have noted, if, for whatever reason, my work email is down or inaccessible, I'll use my personal. I actually have a "semi-professional" email address set up, firstname.lastname@gmail.com, because as I moved into the professional world and before I was assigned a company email address, I hated to send anything with my original personal email address, which was nickname@gmail.com.

I call my firstname.lastname@gmail address "semi-professional" because it's mostly for personal use, but if I need to use it for work, I'm at least not embarrassed to have someone see the address.

6. bigpern23

Fair distinctions on both counts. Though it should be noted, Clinton turned over 55,000 emails in 2014, well before this became a thing.

7. MisterCreosote

Convenient that she could control what she turned over and what she could hide.

8. bigpern23

Much like her predecessors, yes.

9. MisterCreosote

Yep. And we saw how pure and innocent they were.

10. bigpern23

Hey, if there's wrongdoing hidden in her emails, I'm all for punishing her however is deemed fit. But the story, as is, means nothing.

She used a personal email address for business purposes, much like previous Secretaries of State, because the NARA hadn't yet crafted rules outlining proper email protocols for records preservation. In 2014, she turned over the emails - which were already presumably stored on State Department servers because they were sent to recipients with State Department addresses - and several months later, this is becoming a thing.

Personally, I think the entire nation should be far more concerned that Petraeus won't spend a minute in jail after disclosing classified information to his booty call, while Eric Snowden is labeled as a traitor and faces life in prison if he ever returns to the U.S.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Ferguson cops definitely should have used their personal email accounts.

Boom_70 likes this.
  12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dam if you are not hitting all The Clinton talking points that were mentioned today on various talk shows. Based on the NYT story it seems like 2009
    was when the e-mail laws were put in place:

"Mrs. Clinton’s exclusive use of personal email for her government business is unusual for a high-level official, archive experts have said. Federal regulations, since 2009, have required that all emails be preserved as part of an agency’s record-keeping system. In Mrs. Clinton’s case, her emails were kept on her personal account and her staff took no steps to have them preserved as part of State Department record."

Perhaps I'm a bit too cynical but I would willing to bet that Hillary wanted to get this story out now as part of getting ready for 2016. It's
    been a tried and true formula for her. Even better on the same day when Bibi spoke. There was a lot of Clinton apologists out there pretty
    fast with coordinated talking points last night which tells me that this was well planned out.

Draft saved Draft deleted