1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elvis is dead and I don't feel so good myself

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Aug 16, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Please accept my humble apology if someone has already started a similar thread, but 35 years ago today, The King passed away (though some still dispute that) in a most unbecoming manner at his humble home in Memphis. It seems to me such a moment must be commemorated.

Turns out, Priscilla and Lisa Marie thought so, too. For the first time, both of them showed up at the annual anniversary candlelight vigil at Graceland.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120816/ENT07/120816032/elvis-presley-graceland-lisa-marie-priscilla-death-anniversary?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Also, another rock and roll milestone occurred 50 years ago on this date. On Aug. 16, 1962, the Beatles fired drummer Pete Best and hired some cat named Ringo.

Again, don't kill me if this is a D_B.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Elvis was a hero to most ...

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In memory, everybody make sure to eat your bran today.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Also on this date in 1958, some old broad named Ciccone was born in Michigan.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Nice pull.

[​IMG]

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Eat a grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich today.

Thankyouverymuch

On a serious note, I've been an Elvis fan for years. Been to Graceland three times, plan to go back again when all the kids are old enough to appreciate it. Not many people are more popular in death than in life, but Elvis is.

Top five songs:
    1. Suspicious Minds
    2. Kentucky Rain
    3. An American Trilogy
    4. Return to Sender
    5. Jailhouse Rock

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Haven't been to Graceland but was surprised at some photos a friend took there. Struck me as not that crazy of a place -- some funky rooms and decor, of course, but largely a pretty normal (albeit bigger than most) home. The swingset in the backyard for Lisa Marie was the same that a zillion families had at that time.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Huge Elvis fan here. Went to Graceland in 2005 and remember thinking it would be a lot bigger. Also did the Spinal Tap "Heartbreak Hotel" thing at his gravesite.

My King top five (today, anyway):

Suspicious Minds (Dwight Yoakum's version is, to these ears, the best Elvis cover)
    Wear My Ring Around Your Neck
    Promised Land
    Marie's The Name (His Latest Flame)
    Little Sister

Two fave songs about the King;

Elvis on Velvet - Stray Cats
    Going to Graceland - Dead Milkmen

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"The news I could bring I met up with the king
    On his head an amphetamine crown
    He talked about unbuckling that old bible belt
    And headed out for some desert town."

I was driving to the grocery store when I heard the news. Can't say I was surprised.

"Kentucky Rain" remains my favorite Elvis song.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"I Can Help" came over the iPod while I was out cutting the grass earlier. Great fucking song.

Also went to Sun Studio when I was in Memphis and the guy showed us where Elvis used to stand because he felt that's where his voice sounded the best. Everybody went over and had a go on the mark. Not me, no fucking way did I belong over there.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

'Unchained Melody", two months before he permanently left the building:

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A moment of silence for The King, please, then check out:

And for the Beatle who might have been:

Draft saved Draft deleted