1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elvis Costello Spectacle debuts tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Season Two premiered yesterday.

Bono and Edge.

The second season has that polish of a guy who is comfortable with what he is doing, and with higher-Q-rated guests

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I mentioned a few months back on the Bruce thread that I was lucky enough to get tickets to see the taping of the Springsteen two-parter which will close the season. Elvis is a guy who clearly loves music but equally enjoys the sound of his own voice. The taping was 4 1/2 hours for about 1 1/2 hours of content.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The Springsteen show (part 1) was on last night and quite enjoyable.

Loved "American Skin (41 Shots)," and when Bruce mentioned how a certain "young English songwriter" said at the time that the songs on Born to Run were too romantic, and Elvis didn't realize he was talking about him.

I thought Elvis kept the conversation nicely grounded.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

For those with On Demand, part 2 of the Springsteen episode is already available.
    Gotta love how at the end of part 1 Bruce said "we've got balls to be playing this in the Apollo" (or something like that) before they went into Sam & Dave's "Can't Stand Up for Falling Down"
    The acoustic "American Skin" was great, just wish after the song they had let Bruce elaborate on his comment before the song that he started writing it from the point of view of the police officer -- something I think a lot people don't realize.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Haven't been able to get this season on In Demand, although I got last season. Would've loved to have heard Elvis and Neko Case together.

6. finishthehat

That's what I always took from it -- especially the shoot/don't shoot split-second data-processing of "Is it a gun, is it a knife, is it a wallet? This is your life." And the cop praying for his life, if only for the fact that if it's a death things will get very. very messy for him.

7. finishthehat

Lot of brief clips here, including her (don't think it's a song, though.)

http://www.sundancechannel.com/spectacle/video/

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The bit with Nick Lowe was a great one. The U2 show was good, although Costello and Bono's voice did not work well together.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Unfortunately when it came out, the only part the cops paid attention to was "you can get killed for living in your american skin" and viewed it as a criticism of them.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Always liked Elvis:

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The article got it wrong. It's actually worse than that.

It's not three CDs, it's one. $225 for one CD, one DVD, one 10" vinyl EP.

I am absolutely the target audience for this, and there's no way in hell I'd pay anything close to that.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ha, PC was the first guy I thought of as soon as I saw YF's post.

In a similar vein, a story from Sunday's Toronto Star on the business side of these massively priced new box sets:

http://www.toronto.com/article/705420--heavyweight-boxes-cd-collections-are-bigger-than-ever

Draft saved Draft deleted