1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elvis Costello Spectacle debuts tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Thank God you feel that way.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

"Painted From Memory" is, to me, a real gift. But then I'm a huge fan of both Elvis and Bacharach.

And Joe Jackson, too. "Rain" is great, better than anything he's done in a while. I saw him in the spring with just him, his bassist (the great Graham Maby) and his drummer. Terrific.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Haven't heard the a capella, but he did it off-mike (with Steve Nieve on piano) on "Live by Request" on A&E circa '04 - made what was left of my hair stand on end. (A great show by the way, although I skipped the four "North" tunes when I dubbed it. And Bacharach's incognito call-in is a hoot).

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Joe Jackson's live album "Summer in the City" is also just Joe, Graham Maby and a drummer, and it's fantastic. Well worth the money.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Tonight's show (watching right now) had a long commercial-type segment for their "Inspiration Sessions" on Melody Gardot, whom I discovered through a recommendation at Joseph-Beth's in Lexington. I love her.

Strongly recommended for anyone.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Tonight was The Police.

Elvis sang Every Breath..... Police played a great Walking On The Moon.

But, watching Stewart Copeland fill in every possible silence in the interview with his babble.... all of a sudden I realized it wasn't Sting's fault the group broke up.

Up there with Lou Reed as my favorite performance episode of this program so far.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Renee Fleming...

Embarrassed that I did not know who she is.

Wow. 50 years old, and she ain't no fat lady waiting to sing.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Didn't see the show (I keep forgetting to watch), but everytime I see a picture of Renee Fleming I think it's Katie Couric.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is this show on IFC or Sundance?
    We get IFC. I don't think we get Sundance.
    We're in the process of moving and are experiencing a disruption in TV service as a result. DirecTV should be hooked up at the new place today.
    I will have to record the reruns of this.

10. Msaint

Msaint Member

Big Elvis fan, but this show sounds a lot like the Dave Stewart show "Off the Record" which was on HBO. Musician interviewing musicians, etc. (although I wouldn't put Stewart, talented as he is, on the Costello level).

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Am watching this show for the first time now -- with the Police. Not sure how long ago it was taped.

Pretty cool show. Love Elvis.

I think it takes a guy with the credibility of Elvis to do this kind of show.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

This show made its debut last week up here in Canuckistan. Loved the first one with Elton John.

Draft saved Draft deleted