1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elvis Costello hawks Lexus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, May 14, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Anyone else see this ad? Elvis sitting in the back of a Lexus, talking about how great Beethoven is, apparently because the sound system in a Lexus helps you appreciate him.

The debate about using music in ads is old, of course, but I'm trying to think of another rock star with Costello-like status actually appearing in an commercial for something other than musical instruments. (And I admit there may be some I'm forgetting.)

Odd, very odd.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Isn't there a Lexus add with his wife, Diana Krall, as well? Every time I see that add with her (I think it's for Lexus), I think that Elvis, as talented as he is, really married up.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Haven't seen that. Bizarre.

Don't know that it would be as jarring as hearing a song by The Jam -- I think it was "Start" -- in a Cadillac commercial. That was pretty damn strange.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

TTIUWO... shit. I guess I'll do it myself.
    [​IMG]

5. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Let there be no doubt about it. The ad's actually not that bad - certainly not as bizarre as when Dylan showed up in that Victoria's Secret one.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

John Legend is on one as well.

People with taste drive a Lexus. It's what the ad is trying to make you think.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You know you are old when you start hearing music you listened to high school and college start showing hawking "old people" products.

Do you remember The Cure selling HP Printers? Or Led Zepplin selling SUVs?

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Cadillac, of course, has also used Iggy Pop and the Pogues.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

But who is John Legend listening to? I suppose I should know, and I guess the reason we don't know is that they aren't paying the other artist for an endorsement, but that ad bugs me as a result.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Forgive Elvis. He has college to pay off - he had to be as amazed as anyone that his boys could still swim 30-plus years after their last dip.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I remember Sting doing commercials for Jaguar when he brought out 'Desert Rose'.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Hell, this is done so much anymore I can't get pissed about it.

When the Ramones were used, I lost hope.

If a lesser-known artist does it, I can forgive a little more. Lord knows radio won't play them. I know the punk-indie way is anti-corporate and all, but if somebody floated me a big check, I would do it. Got to pay the rent.

Draft saved Draft deleted