1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elvis and Madonna

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

"Benjamin's grandmother Priscilla, 75, married Elvis in 1967 but they divorced six years later. They had only daughter Lisa Marie in 1968. Elvis died just nine years later in 1977 at just 42."

Too many "justs" there, but I digress.

I swore I thought Elvis and Priscilla hooked up much earlier and Priscilla was much younger, like barely legal. Elvis would be 85 today. Instead, Elvis would've been 32 and Priscilla 22. By Memphis standards she was an old maid.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The quality Elvis and Madonna share is the way the cameras loved them. I can listen to either of them, but they are so much more fun to watch.

Top fives:

Elvis
    • Jailhouse Rock
    • Viva Las Vegas
    • Burning Love
    • Mystery Train
    • Baby Let's Play House
    Madge
    • Express Yourself
    • Vogue
    • Crazy For You
    • Ray of Light
    • Material Girl
    I wish someone would release video albums of both artists. Some of those short pieces are gems. Also, if you can get your hands on NME's fundraising CD, "The Last Temptation of Elvis," do.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Take A Bow was Madonna’s best song. Change my mind.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Take a Bow is her best song undoubtedly.

The video for Papa Don't Preach is excellent every single time.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I posted in the Books thread about Elvis in Vegas, which I just finished reading. In it, I learned that Priscilla was living at Graceland, but Elvis wanted her to be a virgin when they got married, so they didn't hook up until their wedding night. And then Lisa Marie was born nine months -- to the day -- after the wedding. When Priscilla was seven months pregnant, Elvis proposed a trial separation, and then they didn't have sex much after Lisa Marie was born because Elvis didn't like having sex with women who had given birth.

#TheMoreYouKnow

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Somewhere I've got a book of poetry about Elvis written by some old woman who was a fan. Don't remember where I got it.

It's just one poem after another rhyming "King" with "sing" and "died" with "cried." It's amazing.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

A Madonna song list that doesn’t include Holiday is not a Madonna list I can take seriously.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Crazy For You
    Express Yourself
    Oh Father
    Live To Tell
    Beautiful Stranger

10. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

Might have to agree with you.
    He could sing the shit out of a song couldn't he?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Express Yourself, Borderline, Vogue, Cherish, Into The Groove/A Little Less Conversation, Suspicious Minds, Burning Love, Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock.

Honestly - 30 years ago I wondered if Madonna's music would hold up - it really does. Despite the "trendiness" of her style - the music still works. Enough that Gaga ripped off Express Yourself with Born This Way.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I was a kid then, but I can't believe 1988 — one of the first years I got into pop music — was completely Madonna-free. Lots of big run that year for Jacko, Whitney Houston, George Michael, Rickroll Guy and A1 Guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted