1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elton Brand to 76ers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 8, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why do people still get riled up by players taking the most money? So what? No one's loyal, on either side. Grab what you can when you can.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'd probably be the only one that qualifies as riled up, but it has nothing to do with him taking the money. My problem/question is if Brand misled the Clippers and Davis, what did he gain by doing it? All I know is if I was Davis and I signed with LA to team with Brand and now I'm left with this squad, I wouldn't be thrilled.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-brandfalk070908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

Spot. On.

This signing makes Philadelphia the third-best team in the East, assuming - and I know that's dangerou - Brand will be healthy.

As a fanboi looser, I'm quite disappointed to see San Antonio not get Maggette or Pietrus. Either would have been great for the Spurs.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not so sure about that. Who are they better than among these teams: Celtics, Pistons, Cavs? And then there are the Magic (Eastern semis) and Raptors (acquired Jermaine O'Neal). And the Heat (healthy D-Wade with Beasley, Chalmers) could come from nowhere.

They could make the Eastern semis, but it depends on the draw. A lot of teams got better this past month.

6. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Exactly. The Magic are still tough and it's still unclear what type of team Miami will be. I'm not a big Wade guy, but with Beasley and Marion, they have some players.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

That's true.

However, if Cleveland continues to fail at finding LeBron any help and Orlando continues to lack a real point guard and any Dwight Howard body guard, neither of those is better than a Philly lineup with a true point, an inside-outside slasher, and a top-of-the-line post scorer.

Philly does need a gunner, but Miller-Iguodala-Brand is better than any trio Cleveland, Orlando, or Toronto can put on the floor. And who's to say Jermaine O'Neal and Dwyane Wade will be healthy? You can argue the same for Brand, but he hasn't missed the chunks of multiple seasons O'Neal and Wade have.

So, Boston, Detroit, and Philly, in that order. Cleveland is the next best, only because LeBron is on the roster.

You're right, though. The draw and matchup has a lot to do with it.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

If O'Neal can be anything like he once was, teaming him with Bosh is deadly. Bosh is a fabulous player. Toronto might be a pretty damn solid team.

9. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

In the playoffs, though, you need a wing player who can drive to the basket. Don't see Philly having a guy like that.

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

Iguodala?

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Definitely--that's Iguodala's strength. He just needs to get some range on his shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted