1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elton Brand to 76ers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Thing about Smith is he seems similar to AI, and even to Thaddeus Young, though I'm basing that second one based simply on what I've heard and the fact that Philly seems to be high on him. Anyways, in Smith they'd be getting another super athlete to fill the wing on the break. It's nice but not a need. Now with Brand you're adding a legit scoring threat in the half-court. And despite last season's injury he only missed six games in the three previous seasons and is only 29. He's a lot more proven and consistent than Smith. I think it's a GREAT signing for the 76ers. All of my questions surround the way Brand handled the last few weeks, the fact that Davis is left high and dry, as are the Clips who were actually willing to spend and get rewarded like this, the fact that Maggette bolted to a losing situation just to cash in and the fact that Minnesota accommodated Philadelphia in this deal with no discernible gain for itself.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a Warrior fan, I definitely wanted Brand coming up north but realized it was just a dream as soon as he refused to even give an inkling that he would consider it. It appears to have been a nice play by the Warriors to screw up Baron's master plans and the Clippers.

As for Brand's conduct, what's wrong? More people need to look at things in the long run, he had this power from the time he signed the original contract and the Clippers knew it. He opted out, a right granted under his contract. His stated intention to resign was merely gratuitous and did not deceive the Clippers because they gave up nothing for his promise. He gets to move closer to his family and who would not want that? Plus, what has been reported is that the Clippers could have offered a longer contract or just told Baron to take less but never did either.

As for Maggette to the Warriors, I guess he'll help but I'd hate to eat up cap room for Maggette if it means we lose out down the road on a bigger star. Maggette is the master of scoring 20 while only making 4 shots (12 fts.)

Amazing that the market is so thin now that teams cannot wait to give $80M+ to a player coming back from a ruptured achilles.

3. Xodus

Xodus Member

I think this moves the Sixers up to top 3-4 in the east. They won 40 games without Brand. He'll add another 10 or so.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Another domino, I like the Pietrus signing by Orlando. I never really understood why he didn't play more in GS. If given the opportunity he seems like he could be a solid role player.

My problem, and this only based on what is being reported, is that it appears that Brand led the Clips to believe that by signing Davis he'd stay and that he led Davis to believe that he'd return if Davis signed. Why even bother with any of that if you're just looking for the best situation, which obviously is impossible to have a problem with.

5. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

the sixers would have loved to get smith, but they would have had to sign him to an offer sheet, then waited seven days. in the interim, brand could have signed elsewhere, so if they took that route, they faced the possibility they would have gotten neither. they felt they couldn't take that risk, so they made Brand their first priority

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Lost in all of this -- The Clippers will always be the Clippers.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

PG - Andre Miller
    SG - Andre Igoudala
    SF - Thaddeus Young
    PF - Elton Brand
    C - Samuel Dalembert

Not a bad starting five. Young should excel next year and AI2 is only getting better. The only question is will they trade Miller.

8. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

That's a decent start, but they lack any 3-point shooting. Not 100 percent sure what their bench looks like, but they could really use a sharpshooter.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Young can knock down an occasional three, but he's no Kyle Korver. Louie Williams proved he could hit the outside shot, but the only question with him is his playing time.

But you're right. They definitely need a three-point shooter. They could make a push for Roger Mason or Maurice Evans. Two shooters, but they aren't great.

10. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

It's certainly a start. I'm not all that impressed with Iguodola, but I do like Young.

How do they sign Iguodola, though? Isn't he still a FA? Did I miss when he signed it?

11. Rumpleforeskin

Igoudola is a restricted FA. They haven't made an offer to him yet, but they are waiting for another team to take a stab before showing their hand. Brand was the No. 1 priority.

AI2 is a tremendous defender and his scoring is picking up. He should be a solid anchor for the 76ers.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"Every time I say it's a game, you say it's a business. Every time I say it's a business, you say it's a game."

I've heard a few talk show hosts going off on Brand, but if we're asking players to give us "100 percent" shouldn't they demand that a team give them "100 percent." I've got to think Brand would have liked to have stayed in LA with his film production work (Rescue Dawn was a nice debut), but a) his agent is David Falk and b) Coming off an injury year, if you can get a team to throw more than $80 million at you over five years you take it.

Draft saved Draft deleted