1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elton Brand to 76ers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 8, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Per Yahoo.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArSEj.zsVJVP9vzDN3.ZCA85nYcB?slug=aw-brandsixers070708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

To go along with this - no link - I believe the 76ers traded Carney, someone else and a 1st-rounder to Minnesota for a 2nd round pick to help clear enough cap room.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Good get for the Sixers, Brand is solid as hell

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

good addition if healthy.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The Yahoo story doesn't mention who was traded. Just says Philly dumped two guys on Minnesota.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I heard it was Carney and Calvin Booth.

7. first reported by Howard Eskin of Philadelphia sports talk radio station WIP

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I've been away for a while, but had to come back for this one. First, has Minnesota just made its mission to accommodate other teams as they try to improve? As for Brand, his move has a huge ripple effect: first, it's pretty slimy in my book. He says all along he intends to come back to LA, says he opted out so they'd have money to sign another player, supposedly he singles out Davis as a guy he'd like to get, and then when they go out and get Davis, he bolts? WTF? What does Davis have to be thinking? Conceivably, and not that he would, but he could decide not to sign right? Wasn't his deal just verbal?
    Second, this makes the Sixers pretty dangerous. They were coming on at the end of last year. Adding a veteran 20-10 guy should be a huge boost.
    And finally, Maggette will be leaving LA for Golden State. I have no problem with the guy going to the highest bidder, and I don't really see where he would have fit with the Celtics, but he was talking last week about wanting to win, sacrificing some dough, etc. and then goes to a Golden State team that appears far from contending. San Antonio had interest and have a glaring need for a younger wing -- why not go there??

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Yeah, Boobie, that suprised me as well. I figured when the Clippers signed Davis, Brand would definitely stay.

10. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

First off, we don't know what the deal is with Brand/Davis/Clippers. For all we know, Brand had nothing to do with it.

But, yes, Davis could choose not to sign with LA. He can't sign until midnight.

Maggette will thrive in GS. I doubt they'll win a ton of games, but assuming Ellis makes another leap forward, they're going to be in OK shape to compete for a playoff spot. OK.... So maybe not compete. But they'll win 35 games in the West. And Maggette will score a ton of points.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

So Maggette has signed on to be this generation's Shareef Abdur-Rahim? Hey I know you gotta get paid, but if the money isn't largely different, I just don't see how you choose GS over SA.

As for the Brand situation, this is from Marc Stein's article on espn.com right now, and the parts I've highlighted have been consistent with what has been reported since Brand opted out.

I have no dog in this fight. From what I know of Brand, I like him. I'm just pretty shocked that he'd do this, if all of what was reported was accurate. And I know if I was Davis I wouldn't be thrilled to join a Clippers team with...what exactly? No Maggette, no Brand. Yikes.

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I'd have signed Josh Smith instead.

Better defender and shot-blocker, younger and less of an injury history.

That said, the Brand signing is a solid one.

Draft saved Draft deleted