1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elsewhere in the "thug jock gets off scott-free" department: Ron-Ron update

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

My bad, I didn't know who "yab" was.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You must have missed the Chris Simon thread where I called for him to be suspended for life. Just can't stand the Negro Hockey League. ;)

Actually, my tolerance for bullshit from originators of all ethnic backgrounds continues to get shorter and shorter. ;)

For instance, they can suspend Brett Myers and Todd Bertuzzi for a few years, while they're at it, and it'd be just fine with me. ;D

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Chuck, you gotta quit the sycophantic worship of ballplayers.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Starman has a worse hard-on for Larry Brown than he'll ever have for a ballplayer.

5. Chuck~Taylor

How am I worshipping ballplayers?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Because these guys you're defending are just bad guys. Period. Whether they dodged conviction or not, they are provably and demonstrably bad guys. White, black, baseball, football...the color of their skin or the sport they play doesn't matter. They're just bad guys.

And guys who repeatedly get in hot water or repeatedly (and figuratively) kill coaches or repeatedly engage in behavior that would get the rest of us shitcanned (like Larry Brown angling for a new job before he's even unpacked his bags) deserve the scorn and skepticism they get here. Why should we believe this time will be any different for Ron Artest, who has a history of violent behavior? It won't. So save the defense for someone more deserving.

7. Chuck~Taylor

First of all, I didn't mention anything about his skin color. Second of all, I never said Ron Artest wasn't a bad guy. What I'm trying to say is the "NBA players are the only athletes who do this type of stuff" mentality is a stupid one.

8. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

Yeah, this happens in sports all the time. But it also happens in ordinary life all the time. People with money get away with things that people without money would never. I hate when we limit this theory to athletes.

9. XXXX

XXXX Member

Ron Artest is a human piece of shit! Just wait until he does another violent act. How many chances do people like Artest or Pacman Jones (among others) get? This type of behavior isn't limited to the NBA, although it does seem to happen more often. Disgusting. Dispicable. Deplorable.
    What cracks me up is the hypocricy that the Kings have shown here. They started off strong by banning him from the team, which in today's sports landscape should be commended, but then completely folded and let the CRIMINAL back on the court!
    Also, shouldn't this violate any parole that he got in the Palace Brawl?

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The general opinion which many people have about the NHL (bunch a toothless goons, to hear some people talk) sounds similar to the opinion many people also have about the NBA.

Sad that people will generalize so much, but unless something's done to change that perception, there's not much else you can say.

So instead of yelling (or even implying) any sort of racism, why don't we do what needs to be done to change people's perception of the sport and its athletes instead of challening people's opinions.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Are there players in other sports who are recidivist assholes like RonRon?

The real difference between the NBA and the other sports isn't the racial difference, it's a numbers game. RonRon is one of twelve on a team, and one of five who start. In the NFL, 1 fuck up is just 1 fuck up of 53 times 32 teams and in baseball it's one of 25 ( or 40) times 30 teams. Some douchebag reliever bangs his wife around once is a story. Some AllStar BBer beating yet another female is a mini-series

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not in golf.

Draft saved Draft deleted