1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Rogan's everyman audience and knucklehead reach are huge. Peterson, sadly, has sold many million copies of his advice-to-the-incel book, which weaponizes and monetizes the homilies and nostrums of the Boy Scout Handbook. Be brave. Be honest. Use a washcloth. He has more Twitter followers than Cavett had viewers.

Dick Cavett was a kind of wry Ivy League counterprogramming to Carson, and was sold as such to advertisers and audience members. Cavett never did much of a number in any time slot on any network. Again, great guest list. Small audience.*

Jay Leno was and remains America's Best State Fair Comic.™

*Show Business: The Cavett Crusade

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    OscarMadison and Octave like this.
  3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I hear your concerns, I share them.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but Peterson is an addict. He is not another greedy kook. He says crazee things because he is in a bad place in his life.
    His audience has shrunken, not grown. Number of Twitter followers means nothing, they are terracotta armies.

OscarMadison and Azrael like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agreed. Benzojunkie / meatnik is no way to go through life.

That said, he's become overtly political lately and spends a great deal of time and energy screeching to North America's far right howler monkeys.

Amplified of course by Joe Just Asking Questions.

5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I don't even feel comfortable in mocking him anymore. He broke down crying in a Piers Morgan interview because Olivia Wilde called him an incel lord.
    In a glimpse you can see the man knows he's made a living hell for himself.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I just saw a photo of Peterson for the first time. He looks like a vampire who's a coke addict.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

these fucking guys, part 19

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

qed qed

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

No intention to derail the thread any more than it has been, but Dick Cavett's guests were and are more interesting than most chat shows offer. Here's a partial list on Shout TV. I always thought it was odd that the theme song was a jazzed up version of "Glitter and Be Gay," Cunegonde's aria from Bernstein and Sondheim's Candide.

Songbird likes this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And on an entirely unrelated note, Gov DeathSantis just banned the Dick Cavett theme from being played in Florida.

garrow, swingline and OscarMadison like this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Ali might has well have been Ed McMahon he was on so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted