1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing [Annotated]

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jones, Jan 10, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I might be corrected, but I'll take a chance: Heinz didn't break many of these rules, ever.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

Certainly not the "said" one, or the adverb one. I feel like Heinz described his characters pretty thoroughly, or maybe I just have clear pictures of them in my head from the whispers he made.

Simon, you're wrong on this one, homes. If you write a piece well enough -- and I'm not saying you haven't, I'm just saying -- the reader knows exactly how someone said something. Those words you cited are crutches. Kick them out from under yourself and see where it takes your stuff.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

SF, I just remembered -- I think Leonard wrote the introduction to one of Heinz's books and tells a story of how much he was influenced by the old man. So maybe these are Heinz's rules, just retold.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

For any new writers, I insist on "said." Once you have experience, you'll know when to vary the formula.

The one time I remember doing it was years and years ago when I used "snapped." When I used it, it perfectly conveyed the tone of the quote.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The trick to breaking rules is to realize you are breaking rules.

6. Well put. If you know the rules, I think you can figure out the times to make exceptions because they work together.
    If you don't know the rules, you probably won't understand why they exist at all and won't be writing as well as you could.

7. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Dead on, Mr. Jones.

Leonard did a foreword for a 2001 reprint of Heinz's 1958 novel, "The Professional." To digress a second: any of us who want to be better ought to read/memorize "The Elements of Style," and keep close at hand everything E.B. White and Bill Heinz ever wrote.

Back to the foreword, in which Leonard quotes from a letter in which the master says, "The writer should be kept out of there. He should not tell, but show." On rereading "The Professional," Leonard wrote, "I realized that 'said' is the only verb you need to carry dialogue." In conversations with Heinz, Leonard had come to understand that dialogue can define character -- and few do that better than Leonard today. He long had embraced Hemingway as his model, but Leonard ended the foreword this way: "It has taken a rereading of 'The Professional,' for me to see clearly where I came from. Thanks, Bill."

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Leonard knows his stuff.... so does Jones.

And so do many, many great writers who would agree with me in believing that leaves you with a palette of muted colors.

9. Bought it in early December, Jones. While I don't personally agree with every point, this should be required reading for any beginning writer (and maybe a few with several years in the business).

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The detailed and insightful description of characters and places was one of Steinbeck's great strengths as a writer. He broke the "said" rule sporadically, too, although I'm in agreement with Leonard on that one.

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

Mark Twain did all right with it, too

12. moonlight

moonlight Member

What the fuck!

Draft saved Draft deleted