1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elmore Leonard starting point

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by friend of the friendless, Dec 24, 2011.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I've never read an Elmore Leonard tome. Which is his best novel or, perhaps, the best novel to read first (i.e. the most accessible)?

YHS, etc

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Been a while since I read them, but my favorites were "Glitz" and "Freaky Deaky."

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Rum Punch is my favorite. Out of Sight is outstanding too. Get Shorty, Be Cool all great as well... I just got his new(ish) one.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd say Get Shorty or Rum Punch (which was the basis for Tarantino's "Jackie Brown").

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'd suggest you start with his earlier, post Western novels. LaBrava won an Edgar.

No on writes dialogue better than Elmore.

I can't think of a bad book he's written.

But best of all, he left us with his ten rules for writers

http://www.kabedford.com/archives/000013.html

My most important rule is one that sums up the 10.

If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it.

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

friend,

I really liked Pronto. And it has a sequel, Riding the Rap. Cat Chaser was good too.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Hmm. Maybe I read too many of his books one right after another. But the reason I stopped reading him is that especially on the dialogue, I could feel the writer at work. I liked the dialogue for a while, and then it got in my way.

I liked Unknown Man No. 89 best. And you have to be pretty confident in your audience's loyalty to name a character Dick Speed.

8. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Agreed on both points. I've read 'em all, and you might as well start with the early ones. They're all that good, and his way with dialog is unmatched. Leonard is so good with dialog that he often uses it as his main storytelling method in many places. He makes it look so easy, but it's not.

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Out of Sight is a good read.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

IMO, 52 Pickup is the best. But the odds of picking a bad one at random are long. Get Shorty is probably the easiest, funniest read.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Couple less popular but very good Elmore Leonard's: Tishomingo Blues and Killshot. He's also done a a few pretty good books set in Depression-era west whose names escape me. Hotshot Kid maybe??

Draft saved Draft deleted