1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ellensburg Daily Record sports writer.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hockeybeat, Feb 21, 2008.

1. mose

mose Member

Actually, Heaverlo was born in Ellensburg. But I think he first gained athletic renown as a Chief, as in Moses Lake High.

2. mose

mose Member

... Yet if you want a truly home-grown sports hero, how's about Brian Habib?

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yeah, the more I think of it, I always thought Heaverlo was from Ephrata because his son played HS ball there -- he was an injury washout who got to Class AAA for the Mariners. The elder also had/has a radio show there.

Ja'Warren Hooker -- was stunned that UW scholied the kid for football, though they were not the only team to want him. If I recall, he took his first college touch back 100 yards for a KO return at Arizona and was barely heard from again. Boy, could that kid run.

4. A job's a job, anything that opens is a great opportunity.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank you for weighing in, daily record publisher.

6. Giggity

Giggity Member

Really? Anything? You know critical thinking is kind of an important part of being a journalist, right?

Also, I got drunk for the first time in Ellensburg when I was 16. I threw up in some random freshman girl's dorm, but I had the common courtesy to do so in my hat, rather than on the floor. Also, Schindler's List was on TV at the time.

7. Hilarious, but completely inaccurate.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

like i care.

9. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

Last time I checked (five years ago) this was a one-man band. Yes, you do get to cover Central Washington. And yes, you can make the two-hour drive to Seattle for Seahawks and Mariners games ... as a fan.

Anybody who seriously thinks a paper this small is going to let their editor off on a rollicking jaunt to Seattle for eight hours to cover something they can get done better by the AP is suffering from some serious postnasal drip.

The town is a hole and it's windy as they say. But there are much worse places to start. Just realize that you'll be poor, but you'll be working 50-60 hours a week, so you won't have to worry about your free time. But that's how some of us have to start. If you want it, good luck, but be realistic about the situation.

10. Giggity

Giggity Member

On the plus side, all the Aplets and Cotlets you can eat.

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Maybe that was the reason you threw up in the girl's dorm room.

12. Giggity

Giggity Member

Talk all the shit you want about Cotlets, but if you bring the Aplets into it we're going to have issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted