1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ellensburg Daily Record sports writer.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hockeybeat, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

And no Ja'Warren Hooker, either ... now there's a name I can get some mileage out of on the late edition.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so how are the boys in bristol treating you these days?

3. Lester Bangs

It's the toughest job you'll ever love.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

tell berms that petty said he'd have to take a pass on cocktails at his house this weekend. kindred and i'm heading to the coast for beers and maybe a coupla hotties instead.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm taking it this is one of those jobs where you have to work 70 hours a week for 20k a year? I like how editor76 says if you are ambitious enough you can be sitting in the press box at Safeco or Seahawks Stadium in two hours.
    My question is this: Is the reporter in the press box there on their own time or is a paper with a 5,800 circulation really paying its guys to go to Mariners and Seahawks games?
    I call bullshit.
    That said. I am sure it is a good job for someone fresh out of college.

6. Lester Bangs

You're right. We've all worked at these papers, that ask you to bust your ass for next to nothing while rolling in profits in the 20-percent range. It becomes insulting after a while but it's never going to change and it is kind of a rite of passage ... the journalism equivalent of the bus leagues. It would all be more palatable if the publishers call it what it is -- a parasitic relationship where fresh-out-of-college kids get beat down while the publishers go about their cocktail circuit and build second homes in Mountain resorts all while telling the "working class" that "we're all in this together."

7. mose

mose Member

If you're going to name-drop from the pantheon of Ellensburg sports greats, you've got to throw in Dave Heaverlo and Dean Nicholson. Ja'Warren Hooker is a bonus answer,though. What's he's doing these days, running match races against quarterhorses out at the rodeo grounds?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nicely stated, lester.

9. cathack

cathack New Member

Wow, nice pull on Ja'Warren. His performance at the 1997 Washington high school track championships still the most impressive individual effort I've seen from a H.S. track kid.

As for what he's doing now ... last I heard he still works out occassionally at UW and lives in Seattle.

And Dave Heaverlo didn't grow up in Ellensburg, just played baseball there with Bill North at Central. Drew Bledsoe was born in Ellensburg.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good ole 'burg:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Lester Bangs

Heaverlo = Ephrata

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he was a tiger?

did he eat dusty's cheeseburgers as well?

Draft saved Draft deleted