1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ellensburg Daily Record sports writer.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hockeybeat, Feb 21, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Just moved on JJobs.

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I love it when papers advertise covering a specific athlete, or team. Really tells you something about the quality of product.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

There are worse places to be. A job's a job. Never been to Ellensburg, but I'm not a real fan of eastern Washington. Hot, windy, dry, a lot of it smells like cow shit and many simply pass the time by sitting on their porches, pining for the next issue of Grit and mocking the high-falutin' folks on the other side of the mountains to the west.

4. cathack

cathack New Member

I know WAY too much about this area. Don't know much about this job, but anyone got questions about the area drop me a line.

And Big Sleeper is full of shit ;D. Town never smelled like cow shit, just cow death from the slaughterhouse (no longer there). And plenty of those high-falutin' folks now live in Ellensburg and commute over to the Seattle area.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ellensburg is a shithole, period. no discussion really needs to take place concerning that fact.

also, as with any other job, ask about the editor's reputation.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree, though Ellensburg is more central Washington than Eastern Washington. The one thing I have always noticed is that the wind never seems to stop blowing in Ellensburg. Every time I ever drove through and stopped in that town, the fucking wind was blowing. It was like I was in West Texas or something.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

so, if you're desperate for a job don't apply because it's windy?
    somebody who just got laid off might disagree with that assessment of this job
    it's amazing how people slam nearly every opening in this job climate.
    Just got downsized? don't apply because the place is a shithole?
    real good advice.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey man, if you're desperate, have right at it. hell, i bet that opening in nevada, mo., still might be open as well.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wasn't saying that at all. I just said it is windy there.
    In a few years I would probably be pretty cool with being an SE at a paper this size, especially 90 miles from Seattle.
    I'm also guessing, though, that someone who just got laid off doesn't want to work for 20-25k at a 5,800-circulation paper.

10. mose

mose Member

Apparently you've never been there over Labor Day weekend, when the essence of the Ellensburg Rodeo takes over the town. Actually, it probably reeks more of horse shit than cow shit ...

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i'm betting if you need a job, you look at all the possibilities. or if you are just out of J-school, you should take a look at places like ellensburg or nevada, Mo.
    it's my contention that a person can do good journalism anywhere if they want, Just wondering why people slam every opening on this board.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Actu
    Actually, they've filled it. The kid they hired will write sports. Another guy promoted to "assistant editor" (with probably no corresponding pay increase) will design and lay out the page.

Draft saved Draft deleted