1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ellen's commencement speech

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Absolutely hilarious.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Man, she's good.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

She didn't give those kids the gay, did she?

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I believe it's actually spelled "TEH GAYZ"

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Richard Nixon and that Arch fellow don't approve:

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

ellen is simply marvelous. :D 8) 8) :D

7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I've always been a fan of hers. She's one of those people who is just naturally funny. She gets up on stage and just says what's on her mind, and is funny without even trying.

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Totally agree ... always loved her stuff, even her old TV shows.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

She is in New Orleans, I'm quite sure those kids have had plenty exposure to the gay -- and a whole lot of other shit as well.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Good stuff. I could listen to her talk for hours. And I bet she could talk for huors unscripted and be hilarious through it all.

My only problem was the obligatory playing of the victim card. Her "coming out" episode had record ratings, yet she claims no one wanted anything to do with her for three years after she came out.

Never mind the show running for another year and then that big standup tour that led to the HBO Special, and then being picked to host the Emmy's that got cancelled because of 9/11. No one wanted anything to do with her.

And her talk show has been running for six years now.

I like her a lot, but she didn't need to play the victim card.

We all should be such "victims."

11. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

Yeah. Her show stopped being funny. That's why it got canceled.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ellen was a strange show. It started out as These Friends of Mine for a season. Then ABC must have realized ensemble wasn't the way to go, so it became Ellen. And replacing Ayre Gross with Jeremy Piven didn't hurt either. But I'd agree with 'Jay that the show for whatever reason lost its mojo after the Puppy Episode (Melissa Etheridge was hilarious at the end of that, offering a free toaster for coming out). It got to the point that ABC wouldn't promote the show anymore. Come to think of it, Roseanne lost its mojo after about half the characters ended up getting teh gay.

Draft saved Draft deleted