1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ellen DeGeneres to host Oscars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 8, 2006.

1. trounced

trounced Active Member

I like her.

2. Jesus_Christ

Jesus_Christ New Member

Now all she's needs to do is host the Tony Awards to complete the grand slam.

And there better be a tribute to "Mr. Wrong." That movie still sucks is even funnier now that she's out of the closet.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What would be nice would be if she could get through an entire routine/tv show appearance/screen role, without referring in any way whatsoever to her homosexuality.

I mean, OK, you're gay. We get it. It's OK. But we don't want to hear about it every goddamn 30 seconds.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Bingo! I liked her sitcom ... until she came out. Then, every freaking storyline and joke seemed to revolve around her sexuality, like that is the only aspect of a gay woman's life. She lost me pretty quickly after that.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But every straight comedian who cracks a joke about how tough dating is, or how hard it is to be married, or how stressful it is to have kids is beating you over the head with their heterosexuality. That doesn't seem to bother you.

Point is, comedians joke about their lives. Her life involves being gay. And I think it's toned down a WHOLE lot in the past several years. I like her talk show a lot.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I'd hit it.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I hope there's a sarcasm font there that I'm just not seeing.

Otherwise, that's a nauseating thought.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I love her sense of humor. She's just goofy funny. I dug her show (Jeremy Piven) but then her coming out screwed everything up. Good for her.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think DeGeneres is very likeable.
    And I find her attractive.
    She, however, would not find me attractive.
    Which puts her in the lap of the majority of women, gay and straight.

...Come to think of it, she might like being in the lap of the majority of women.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm with you. I don't care if she's gay. I just don't want to hear about it again and again -- any more than I want to watch a straight couple sucking face in public.

11. zufer

zufer Active Member

Not a chance.
    The Tonys always play it straight.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

So you also have a problem when any comedian makes jokes about their personal lives -- kids, wives, husbands, being part of a racial minority, etc.

Being gay is part of who Ellen is. Why shouldn't she make jokes about? Because it makes you uncomfortable? Bullshit!

Draft saved Draft deleted