1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ellen DeGeneres to host Oscars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

An interesting choice. I love Jon Stewart, but thought he was mediocre at the Oscars...

She did a great job at the Emmy's a few years back and I think she'll be a good choice...

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Rip me now...but I love Ellen. Before everything became talking about being gay, she was great. Now that she doesn't have to focus on that anymore? Great.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Interviewed her in 1984, just as she was emerging nationally. She'd won some gimmicky "Funniest Person in America" contest on Showtime and was making the rounds. She impressed me for several reasons.

Her humor wasn't mean-spirited.
    She didn't rely upon vulgarity for a cheap laugh.
    She didn't make one-dimensional, stereotypical fun of herself (or women) repeatedly like some women do (Joan Rivers comes to mind).
    She had a playful style that was young at heart.
    Plus, she was from New Orleans.

Happy for her.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I find her immensely likable... She doesn't come across like a pretentious C-word like Oprah.

Plus, she's funny as hell.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I think she'll be great. I had hoped they'd choose her to host the Oscars last year. I think she's got wide appeal, for the reasons Johnny Dangerously mentioned, but especially because she's not mean-spirited. She handled the Emmys well, I thought. Plus, she's funny. Good choice.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What's the over-under in terms of how long before she busts the first lesbian joke?

I say 45 seconds or less.

What say you?

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Depends upon your definition of "lesbian joke." If you mean will she make a joke at the expense of lesbians, probably never. If you mean will she make fun of the expectation of there being some sort of lesbian joke, or acknowledging (with an aim at disarming wit) the perception people have of her, then perhaps in the first two minutes.

8. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Ellen could be good, or she could be a disaster, hopefully she'll get Bruce Villanch to write her some good material. Billy Crystal should be the only host of the Oscars

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Holy crap! I agree with d_b!!

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Ellen seems like a nice lady and everything, but I don't think she's funny. I'd like to see Colbert try it out.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

She'll be great. She's always dependable for laughs. I've got one of her CDs. She does a bit about an airplane bathroom that's great. She said she hates it when she comes out of the bathroom on a plane, sees a long line of people waiting to get in and has to explain that the awful smell was in there BEFORE she went in.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I wonder if she'll dance?

Draft saved Draft deleted