1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elizabeth Gilbert: Is writing really so (bleeping) hard? Compared to what?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Again, thought Roth's response was fine, especially considering he just had a book shoved in his face.

The repeated bellyaching about how tough work is should not be the domain of those who are paid (sometimes a princely sum) to chronicle the exploits of athletes.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If you're going to overthink anything, why would it not be work? I stress out about work all the time. It's pretty much the only thing I stress out about. And it makes me better at my job because I care more, because I drop everything when I have an idea, because I take every minuscule failure apart to see what I could do better.

I can see the argument that we shouldn't care so much and our jobs aren't worth it, but I disagree with it because I enjoy my job and don't want to do anything else, but I know that if I don't do my job well, I risk losing it.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And most of us learn to bounce a basketball in grade school gym class, then move onto other things.

Draft saved Draft deleted