1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elizabeth City, N.C. reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Charlie Hustle, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Charlie Hustle

Charlie Hustle New Member

Company: The Daily Advance
    Position:Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires: March 19, 2007
    Job ID: 713595

Description:
    We're looking for a sports reporter to cover community sports from small college, high schools and recreation to hunting fishing and boating in this scenic area Northeastern North Carolina. Successful candidates will have a college degree and some experience in sports reporting. Contact The Editor, The Daily Advance, P.O. Box 588, Elizabeth City, N.C. 27907-0588. By email, send resume and cover letter to: mgoodman@coxnc.com. We're a Cox Newspaper offering competitive pay and benefits.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I love that area.... Although I'm assuming it has to be a little pricey to live there.

Outer Banks. ... Mmmmmm.....

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Elizabeth City is reasonably close to the Outer Banks, but the two aren't much alike. Elizabeth City is on the Pasquatank River, about 45 minutes inland. They don't cover the OBX, unless they've changed their coverage area since the time I interviewed there some six years ago. They have a new facility on said river. Dreary area, though, a lot of farming and light industrial type jobs. If I had to guess, it's closer to 25 than 30, given that it's the No. 2 job of a two-person department at a paper getting periously close to dipping under 10K circulation.

Coverage area includes something like seven or eight high schools, a D-II school (Elizabeth City State) that doesn't do much nationally and fishing.

Hampton Roads area is a pretty close drive -- you'd get most of their radio and TV stations -- so at least there's options for things to do.

4. boots

boots New Member

I thought they were picking up in circulation meat. What happened?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It's possible they're back up a bit, or at least leveling off, but I check the ABC audit results for all the papers for which I worked or interviewed, just to see how they're doing, and I know they dropped from 13-ish when I interviewed to a touch over 10 now. They're not in a high-growth sector, so any significant improvement is either going to come from expansion of the coverage area (which won't help but so much, because NE N.C. is pretty sparsely populated outside the beaches in summer) or better penetration in their core.

Current ABC numbers:
    ADVANCE, ELIZABETH CITY (PASQUOTANK CO.) SUN DLY 10,217
    ADVANCE, ELIZABETH CITY (PASQUOTANK CO.) E (M-SAT) DLY 10,359

6. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Interviewed here very early on. Had to take an interesting writing test...

Not much going on in E-City, but Hampton/Norfolk/Va. Beach is close.

And oh yeah -- there is a Bo Jangles in E-City. Not every shop can claim that.

7. Kable

Kable Member

First of all, it's one word, Bojangles (Just messing with ya, no disrespect giantjay25). Second, they're almost everywhere in North Carolina.

Plus, what kind of writing test? More copy editing or theory-based? Anyway, I just want to know.

8. Keystone

Keystone Member

Bet EC has a Hardees, too.

9. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Hypothetical game situation, imaginary athletes, made-up quotes. Construct as story in a specific amount of time that's a certain length.

By the way, Hardees rocks.

10. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Any chance of parlaying this into a gig somewhere bigger with Cox? (OK, AJC).

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

From what little I understand, I think the Carolina Cox properties (E. City, Rocky Mount, Greenville) are sort of an island unto themselves). I don't remember hearing about any big moves from NC to Atlanta or Austin.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I don't hear that Cox does much to move up its own. Mike Goodman is good people, but be ready to feel a little isolated. Except for Norfolk/Hampton Roads up north, there's very, very little around Elizabeth City and Pasquotank County.

Draft saved Draft deleted