1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eliot Spitzer's madam's girls tell NYDN that she dated ARod.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Re: Eliot Spitzer's madam tells NYDN that she dated ARod.

So A-Rod is actually Patrick Bateman?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

HB, not for nothing, but there's a correction at the end of the story that removes Davis as the person who said that. There are quotes from her, but very noncommittal. The stories are coming from employees.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

which is why the biz i so love also sickens me more and more these days. repulsion is the word that comes to mind.

the "people want to read it" argument doesn't fly with this geezer. big diff between wanting to know and needing to know.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Ok, that's wrong on so many levels.
    Yet amusing on so many at the same time.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Which says a hell of a lot about our readers, doesn't it?

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The good news is A-Rod denies ever having met Johnny Ola.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Fucking solid.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Gossip columns have been a part of journalism for centuries. I really don't see what your problem is with it.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Exactly. If this story had turned up in sports, that would be a different matter. But it seems to me this is fair game for a gossip columnist. That's pretty much what gossip column is -- juicy stuff about celebrities' personal lives.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A-Rod gets his freak on.

As for gossip columns, they may have been around for a long time, but they are idiotic garbage for the most part, though it must be said, idiotic garbage that sells newspapers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes, i am well aware that gossip columns have been around forever. once upon a time, they were harmless. the tide has turned 180 degrees from those innocent day of blind items such as "what starlett recently had her nose bobbed?" it's escalated totally above and beyond what is relevant. blind items were once buried on page whatever in the middle of a column. now it's front-page news.

i spent my first 18 yearss in the biz at a n.y. tab. i know well what past for gosssip in the '70s, '80s and early '90s. and the stuff gossip mongers run with now and the way it's displayed is nauseating.

i'm no prude. nor am i an innocent in the biz. i have every right to find this sort of journalism despicable.

these are desperate times in the biz and desperate times call for desperate measures. doesn't mean i have to like it.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

This man is 40, and he agrees.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted