1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eliminating "freelance" from my title...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NickMordo, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

much ado about nothing ... as refhack said, it's not like some ME wouldn't know one made up title from another ... I have always been proud to be a stringer. I don't think anyone has ever looked down on me because I'm "not on staff". And if they did, I'd just beat them on the story ...

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I still like media mercenary. There is no stigma from being a freelancer. Staff writer or correspondent, you're still a sportswriter and a journalist.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Will write for fries.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

FWIW, if I were hiring someone for a newspaper writing job and had the choice of a freelancer vs. a staff writer with everything else equal, I'd hire the staff writer every time.

5. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

but, as you know, not everything is ever equal

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True. I'd hire you, Dan.

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Everything was encouraging until this post. Thank you.

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I would have said the same thing 10 years ago, but the old paradigm really doesn't apply anymore. The business has changed; the world of business has changed. Titles and employment status don't matter. The only thing that still does is whether you can do the job. Have good clips, have good references, and know your industry -- and your chances are the same. And, yes, I hire people.

9. I would identify myself as a sportswriter by occupation, then add in the description of duties "regular contributor to the Podunk Press, etc." It shows you did more than one story for them, that you have an ongoing relationship.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Talk to you editors about an official title...you could also identify yourself by your most consistent beat...preps writer, Baylor basketball writer, etc.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's silly to quibble over a title when you're not on staff.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

There used to be a media softball league here. One of the teams was from a group called Independent Writers of Southern California. They were all freelancers. We called them the Umemployeds.

Draft saved Draft deleted