1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eliminating a position while the worker is on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Nov 1, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

Is this a lawsuit waiting to happen? A paper in my area is eliminating the position of a pre-press worker who went on maternity leave three weeks ago. I talked with this worker the day she left and she told me how long the leave would be. I have since been told that her position has been eliminated (the pre-press job she was doing is being done by each editor for each section of the paper (Distilling pages and sending them to the pre-press printer)) and they will send her a letter a few weeks before her leave expires. I was told they'll pay her until the leave is up and then stop.
    Two questions—Does she have a legal case here? Also, should I call her and let her know now what they intend to do? The day she left, she had no clue this was going to happen.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I think the company has to find a position for her somewhere, as part of the Family Medical Leave Act. They can eliminate the position, just not the employee. At least that's my understanding.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That's my understanding, too. The job has to be with a reasonable percentage of the employee's former salary, too. So if the women's making 40k a year before maternity leave, they can't offer her a job paying 20k when she comes back.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

At the very least, tell her, on the sly or on the record.
    How would you like it, to return to a job that you thought was still yours and find out that you don't even work there anymore? At least this would be like a bush-league form of severance, allowing her to make calls and search help-wanted ads while caring for her newborn and having some income. Maybe she's have a job, with a better boss and employer, by the time her leave ends.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

CNHI at its best.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Flat out illegal up here.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

You guessed the company correctly.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You stay classy, CNHI!

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Here's the Family Medical Leave Act website.

As long as she's been an employee for 12 months (doesn't have to be consecutive either) and the company has 50 employees at that site, it's illegal.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for the employee here, but I do have a question: What if the employer just waits until she returns, gives her a week or two, and then "downsizes" her onto the street anyway? Not to give the pricks any ideas they haven't already had, but surely she doesn't have guaranteed lifetime employment due to taking maternity leave.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Family-owned paper and a former shop of mine did that at least twice - scumbag publisher. Shocking, I'm sure.

12. bevo

bevo Member

My understanding is if the position was going to be eliminated even if she was still working there...it's legal.

But still a terrible, terrible thing to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted