1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elias Sports Bureau

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Herky_Jerky, Aug 25, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

In my league every player got a number like a marathon runner. The player would walk into the gym, field a few grounders, take a few swings, throw a few balls and catch a couple liners. The coaches would all watch and take notes. Then the coaches would go into the rooms and see a board full of numbers only. No names were involved. So unless you knew the kid from the year before and wrote it down during the tryout you would never know. Draft results were never released. It was a solid procedure.

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

In my town, everything from the majors (as young as nine, old as 12) division and older was a draft. If you were drafted by a team as a 10-year-old, you were with that team until you moved on to the next age grouping (for us, 13-15 was Babe Ruth), unless you petitioned to be moved to another team.

If a kid didn't want to play in the majors, or wasn't drafted, they were put in the minors. Those teams were loosely based on the neighborhoods you lived in. The minors were ages 9-11. Once you were 12, you had to play in the majors.

Some teams tried to draft straight up. Other teams would get a group of eight fathers together to say they were all coaching that team so their sons all had to play together on that team. Of course, only one or two of the dads actually intended to coach.

The tryouts were set up similar to what mustang described.

Just curious BBAM, how were teams determined for your Little League? I just always assumed most towns/leagues had a draft system.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

From Mushnick's column today:

Steve Hirdt, Elias Sports Bureau VP, next week works his 400th Monday Night Football telecast. Only Frank Gifford, 411, has worked more. From childhood, Hirdt was destined for a career in numbers. On the day his mother said, "How many times have I told you to clean your room?" Steve knew.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Goddamn, that's still a hilarious story about Steve Hirdt. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted