1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elian Gonzales is a communist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Just looking at that photo makes me think they put a photographer in there before it happened. Ok, we'll chase them back into the closet if you just hang out right here. Ready? Go!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Agreed. Either that or it's a hell of a coincidence...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

FWIW Elian Gonzales's dad is by all appearances in a pretty good guy.

After the whole debacle he kept a fairly low profile and went back to his job as a waiter in the resort town of Varadero. He probably could have milked it for more than he did but the only outward appearances of anything unusual was that he got a car right after (nothing too luxurious).

Like others on this thread have said, joining the communist party is not that big of a deal.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So you really want to accuse Elian's relatives of kidnapping? That is, quite possibly, the stupidest thing ever posted on this board.

Elian was rescued from a boat. The government needed somewhere to place him. The government placed him with his aunts and uncles while sorting the mess out.

And you call them kidnappers? I shall remember that any other time you want to be taken seriously.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Work on your reading comprehension. That post was in response to Armchair falsely calling our govt kidnappers, and pointed out only that the people withholding him arguably "might" fit that defn. Would I personally regard them as kidnappers? Not really, but their conduct comes closer to it than our govt's did.

And you conveniently neglect to mention that the "aunts and uncles" adamantly refused to return the child to his father after the mess had already been "sorted out", defying court orders and many requests to return the child before this event happened.

Tell me something: if your child was illegally seized from you without your permission, taken to a foreign country, placed with some distant relatives without your consent, then those relatives defiantly refused to return your child even after the courts in BOTH countries had ruled that he must be, how would you regard those people? What words might you choose to describe them?

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

But it's not hypocritical to go against the Geneva code and continue this waterboarding stuff?

It's often, though not always, a baldly hypocritical government that runs the U.S.

7. vicd

vicd Active Member

Congratulations Elian!

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

You read things like I do, man....those were the same types like the man "in true manipulative tears, begging America to stand up and speak out about this injustice." Some folks just can't detect tone in a written message I guess.

9. vicd

vicd Active Member

What type of gift do you give a child when they join the communist party?

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

The poster who has given us hits such as:

"There's no such thing as evolution."
    "Global Warming is a hoax."
    "Teachers are only in it for the money." (my personal favorite)

. . .is calling out another post as the stupidist ever.

Super.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They were concerned relatives when the kid needed a place to stay. Once it was established that the father wanted him back, and had been a good father, they became kidnappers for fighting it.

Coming from a fellow conservative ... you're dead wrong on this one Tony.

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

And I bet there was a glory-seeking lawyer who found that family very quickly, and then called the media and said "We have a case."

Imagine where we would be as a nation if we took those attorneys and activist judges and dropped them off in Cuba.

Draft saved Draft deleted