1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eli Manning's silver spoon got brighter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Aug 5, 2009.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Here's the question, what are you bitching about?

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I wasn't bitching except to say there's a breaking point here at some point. It's amazing that we bitch about the economic state then just swallow hard without a bitch when we see the widening gap in income this shit brings and say it's just business. At the same time, those of you who are journalists are getting screwed by this "it's just business" mindset every day.

Other than that I'll ask: When is Texas Stadium coming down?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

the breaking point will be when fans, corporations and advertisers stop paying these prices, I think we are close to the breaking point is some sports.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes. Which doesn't strike me as in the same neighborhood as "silver spoon" stereotyping.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Agreed.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When Tom Condon is no longer his agent. ;D

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Again, $35 million is guaranteed. If he sucks -- and I'm still not convinced he's that good -- he might never see the other $62 mill... or he'll be asked to "restructure for cap purposes," also known as "take a pay cut" in the real world.
    We all know long-term NFL deals usually aren't worth the paper they're written on.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

This deal was about the guaranteed cash and Eli getting bragging rights for having a bigger contract than Peyton. The number an agent throws out there, "7 years, eleventy bajillion dollars" is a ploy. It makes it sounds like the agent got a ransom from the team and he gets it reported in the media so he can tell some college kid, "Sign with me. Look at the contract I got Eli." Meanwhile, the deal is really for about 4 years, 36 million or something semi-reasonable.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

His annual salary for the first 4 years in $250,000? I don't think so.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

What are you taking about guy? $35 mill guaranteed

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Right. And if he plays for 4 year, he gets the non-guaranteed portion of the contract for those 4 years. It's the back end that is Monopoly money.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Eli made his money with the bonus. The annual salary is nothing. And the back end is definitely Monopoly money that he may never see. Talk about being indentured.

Draft saved Draft deleted