1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eli Manning - The Deal That Almost Wasn't

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Came across an interesting excerpt today in The Daily News on new book coming out on Eli Manning.

Want to see the next 2 installments but seems like a book that might make it to my buy list.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2008/08/27/2008-08-27_book_by_news_writer_looks_at_how_giants_-2.html?page=0

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Boom,

Did you read "The GM" -- the Ernie Accorsi book? If you like this, you'll love Accorsi's. There's a ton of great stuff in there about Manning, including a copy of Accorsi's original scouting report on him.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

"the gm" was excellent. can't imagine accorsi gave ralph much of anything that wasn't in "the gm" or already reported elesewhere.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It's been said (and I haven't read any of the books mentioned here) that Perian Connerly, the widow of old Giants QB Chuckin' Charley Connerly, had a big say in Eli going to New York.
    In Mississippi, where the Conerly Award each year equals the state's version of the Heisman, it's common knowledge that she lobbied like hell with the Mara family to draft Eli.

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Ralph Vacchiano is an excellent beat reporter and writer. He's witty and thorough and very clued into the team. I look forward to reading the book.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Thanks for chiming in, Ralph Vacchiano's mom.

Draft saved Draft deleted