1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eli Manning retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jan 22, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For sure. Who else is eligible always impacts things.

This is just a personal bias, but I have always been way more partial to the idea of Hall of Fames being more, not less, exclusive. I think the actual building in Canton is meh compared to other Hall of Fames, but one thing I do like about the PFHOF is that it is probably the hardest hall of fame to get into out of the major sports (someone will probably correct me on this, though).

Somebody posted something this morning on the baseball HOF thread about how Joe DiMaggio wasn't a first ballot Hall of Famer (neither was Yogi Berra, and lots of other all-time greats who became eligible in the 50s, 60s and 70s), and how idiotic that is. Maybe. But I think it also speaks to how much less exclusive they have made Cooperstown over time (the steroid player mess, notwithstanding). It used to be more of a big deal getting in, let alone getting in by near unanimous consent.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's another thing. The committee, senior pro football reporters one and all, is well aware which candidates are coming down the eligibility pike in future years. I think you're right that if Rivers and Eli are first eligible the same year their candidacies would hurt each other. They would REALLY hurt each other if the committee knew Brady would be eligible the next year.
    PS: Ragu, in some ways the football Hall is LESS exclusive, since it has to admit a minimum of five new members a year (maximum is seven). But that's for a sport where there are more than twice as many players on a team. So it seems more exclusive.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The most dangerous word in the language.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

C'mon, he was cutting the family meat.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Seriously, the guy can't support his brother?

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    /approves

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Simms' lack of durability is a big knock. In a 15-year career, he started at least 12 games just 8 times. There's five years where he played just 20 total games.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I put Eli in the Hall of Very Good, "has a ring" division. That said, ten minutes ago I saw a headline that read "Is Eli Manning a first round Hall of Famer?".

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

As a first-year ballot guy, absolutely. He's already in a pool with Kuechly and Witten might retire. But Eli's going to get in -- even if it's down the line. Kurt Warner went in on the third try, that could be easily be Eli territory.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Era-adjusted, I'd say these guys were fairly comparable:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Tweener likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I cannot stress this enough. Eli's interception total and interception rate are terrible for his era. He put up yards and tds because everybody after 1990 did. What everybody else in the last 20 years didn't do was throw picks at the rate Eli did.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted