1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eli Manning: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ryan has had a better career than Romo, yes.

Is there a zero sum game I am unaware of in which only Eli Manning or Kurt Warner is permitted to be elected into the HOF?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Matt Ryan is Carson Palmer in a Falcons uniform.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It isn't, though. Before this season, he barely shows up in the season top fives in any category. TDs, fifth once (2012). Yards, fourth once and fifth a few other times. Passer rating, only two top-10 seasons.

Lots of guys can beat that. Rivers for sure. Even someone like Rich Gannon.

4. Dick Whitman

But a big reason is that there have been 4-5 guys who have had a stranglehold on those categories for years now. Brees is always going to pass for 5,000 yards, even if they go 0-16. Rivers, too.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ryan has his share of those empty yards too -- almost 14,000 in the last three years as they went 18-30.

In 2013 when he was ninth in passing TDs, he trailed such luminaries as Andy Dalton and Nick Foles.

Not sure why you're so down on Rivers. Chargers never really had a lost season until 2015. Before then they only had one losing season with him, and it was 7-9. I'm not trying to build a HOF case for him, but he would be ahead of Ryan.

6. Dick Whitman

I'm not down on him. I just think it's too late in his career, and they're too far away from doing anything notable, that he's going to run out of time.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Manning will get in. I agree with Dick on Rivers. I also don't think Ryan has much of a shot unless he puts together something like four more seasons similar this one (which isn't out of the question with Julio Jones running routes).

8. Dick Whitman

There are some other interesting guys, too. Andrew Luck would probably be well on his way if he wasn't surrounded by shit. Russell Wilson's star has faded a little bit.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I think you have to dial back any evaluation of QBs in this era. 4,000 yards in a season is just okay nowadays. QBs are more important and they are always going to be the MVP, but that doesn't mean that all of the good ones today are HOF worthy. I would hope that voters would recognize this change and not give every guy who put up stats post 2004 a HOF consideration.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Luck got mentioned in a Simmons column a week or so ago as "too soon to rank" regarding the all-time great QBs, and I don't understand why he even came up. (Dick, the only other QB he put in that category was Wilson, whom I agree belongs there.) What has Luck done to show that he merits any potential discussion as an all-time great compared to some of the other "good, not great" QBs who have been around for 5-10 years?

Out of that group, only Rodgers and Wilson are on HOF trajectories right now. Luck could certainly get there. But his resume is certainly thinner than Newton's, to say nothing of the likes of Ryan and Stafford. Others could make it and Luck could certainly end up as the best of the group, but mentioning him in Hall of Fame discussions is projecting a great deal. He has been surrounded by a crappy team - and he's willed crap teams to the playoffs and won there, which isn't a small thing - but I think it's premature to even put him in the "potential" conversation.

11. Dick Whitman

I get the feeling that people who know people who know football - i.e. people who talk to scouts and coaches - are told pretty consistently that Luck is a top five talent in the league.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I suspect that's a lot of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted