1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eli Manning: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If he retired now, or faded out badly beginning next season a-la McNabb or Daunte Culpepper -- no.

IF he wins this SB and plays another 5 years as an above average QB (makes another Pro Bowl or two) -- yes. He'll appear on some of the alltime stat leader lists, although way down.

If he has another SB season after this one -- even if he doesn't win -- yes.

If he wins two more Super Bowls -- slam dunk.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

In terms of all-time lists and counting stats, Eli is 51st in yards, 44th in completions and 42nd in TD passes.

After just next season, even if you are conservative and say 300 completions, 3,500 yards and 25 TDs, he shoots up to 35th in yards, 30th in completions and 26th in TD passes and that's after just nine seasons

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, just slightly...

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I would put Eli in. I would even argue he should get more consideration than Peyton (granted both should get in).

Peyton plays 60% of his games in domes. Some of his playoff collapses have been unspeakable.

For me, home playoff losses are the biggest strike because that represents failed expectations.

Eli is 7-3 with two home playoff losses. Yet I think his road wins almost negate the home defeats.

He is reaching the point of "If you have one QB to start and you get fired if you lose" level of being a top pick.

Eli is like a Derek Jeter/Robert Horry. There is something calm and focused when it matters most.

Playoff W-L is a huge deal for me. Kurt Warner never lost a home playoff game yet Warren Moon was 3-7.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Teams win and lose football games. Quarterbacks do not.

Carry on.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I've said this about Brady and the same goes for Eli: both had/have better defenses than Peyton. Eli's defense stopped one of the most prolific offenses in that 2008 SB, while Brady had guys like Richard Seymour and Rodney Harrison and Vince Wilfork and Asante Samuel and Ty Law making plays on his defense. Law had three picks of Peyton in one playoff game.

Warner gets in before Eli if the voting was done today. Two Super Bowl wins isn't even a lock for Eli, either. Would you take Eli over Peyton or Favre, today? Steve Young won one SB (same as Favre and Peyton) and he is in the Hall, but all three guys have better stats than Eli -- even if Eli still has a lot of years left I presume.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Eli's better than Ben right now.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm dredging up this thread five years later, for no other reason than there are four outstanding quarterbacks left in the playoffs, and this is the time of year that talk turns to sorting their careers out a little bit.

Is he a slam dunk now, having compiled some numbers with the help of Cruz and, now, Beckham, by his side?

It seems that the "if they retired tomorrow list" of HOF quarterbacks is:

1. Tom Brady
    2. Drew Brees
    3. Aaron Rodgers
    4. Ben Roethlisberger
    5. Eli

Rivers and Palmer aren't going to get there.

Ryan might.

Stafford might.

Cam might.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ryan will not. Stafford will not. Cam maybe.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think Ryan has a pretty good shot, with a couple more years like this one - he has to get to and perhaps even win a Super Bowl. My first instinct was "no," as well, until I looked at his career. It's impressive.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

More than romo's? And I can't imagine an argument for Eli over Warner.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I was going to say, if Ryan is in, so is Romo. Not sure I'm ready to go there, yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted